Need help rear lift support installation

supradupra

Dec 15, 2006
Florida
I have a 1989 Supra and purchased a pair of Stabilus lift supports for the rear hatch. Does anyone have advice how to remove the original supports and install the new ones? It looks like I have to remove the the plastic trim, but I'm not sure. Pics would help if available. Thanks.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
If you want to do it properly, without stressing any plastic, it gets pretty involved. You need to remove the interior panel around the window. HAHA, if only it was that easy. To get that panel off, you must first remove the one under it. To get the lower one off, you must remove the rear center panel, and the rear seat side panels. By now, you have taken out the front seatbelts. To do it right, you have to tear the rear of your car to pieces. I've parted out several cars, and done it several ways. Once I realized that the side panels didn't sell for much, I started using a screwdriver to pry it open enough to get to the nuts. That method is pretty easy, but it will leave a mark usually.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Another option is to drill a 1/2 inch hole into the trim plastic under the nuts. Then get 1/2 inch plastic plugs and paint them to match the interior trim. Looks pretty much stock if you drill the holes in a straight line.