need help please.....

87.supra

Oct 20, 2008
mississippi
i know i'm new here but i have just about had it with my 87 na auto supra. so here it is...... went to replace the spark plugs, so i removed the throttle body and put everything back together. connected all the lines and plugs, went to start it then it would idle for a few seconds then die out. looked at the manual and said maybe a vaccum leak so i replaced all the vaccum lines and got a new throttle body gasket just to make sure it wasn't bad. talked to a few local mechanics and said sounds like a vaccum leak. after replacing the lines and gasket went to start it and did the same thing, idled perfect for a few seconds then died out. thought maybe the gasket isn't sealing just right so i put some permatex on it and let it sit. just went outside and started it up and ran perfect, took it round the block with no problems, turned it off then tried to start it again then it started acting up again. so could the permatex have not dried completely yet? bad sensor? wires? someone please help me cause i've been messing with it for over a week and can't figure it out. thanks

87.supra

Oct 20, 2008
mississippi
i mean when it drove, it drove perfect, ideled perfect and everything, all the lines are correct just checked online and i wiggled the plug around and nothing changed also sprayed some connection cleaner on it. could it be that when i shut it off it may have messed up the permetex?

87.supra

Oct 20, 2008
mississippi
ok, so i went outside this morning and started it and nothing was wrong, even turned it off to see if it would mess up, well went to start it up again and ran perfect, this has me puzzled on why its running perfect now. i am still a little hesitant to really drive it just cause of what is going on. any suggestions?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
flapper door on the afm could get stuck. not 100% positive but i think thats wat happened to my old ge it would start and die not even idle and i adjusted it and ran perfect after that. please correct me if im wrong mods

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
dont attempt it mate. have you tried checking for fault codes yet? get a paper clip and jump terminals te and e1 and turn the ignition on and see what the engine light flashes like. if it flashes steadily then you have no codes. other wise you will see a series of flashes then a pause then more flashes. then post what you find up on here

87.supra

Oct 20, 2008
mississippi
just went and checked the codes and only one it threw was 51, looked in the book and said ac switch or neutral saftey signal, could either one of those actually mess with the car starting after driving for a while?

87.supra

Oct 20, 2008
mississippi
ok so last night took it for a drive to a friends house thats about 15-20mins away. drove fine, stopped at lights a couple of times. got to his house and shut it off. left a little bit after that while it was still warm and it started rigth up with no problems. i am sooooooo confused with what is going on.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
does the engine idle a bit high? that could be a vac leak.

sounds daft but are you sure all the ht leads are on the correct spark plug?

afm plugged in correctly?

pas idle up hose conected?

as above check the tps out as per the tsrm

87.supra

Oct 20, 2008
mississippi
it idles perfect, drives perfect,afm is plugged correctly, just checked all the plugs and there correct and connected good, and i just checked everything else and nothing is unplugged and everything is secure. it just bothers me cause i konw im dont know everything bout cars but i do know how to work on them and it bothers me not to know what is wrong with it.