Need Help On Power Issue

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
Cliffs: Battery(Supposedly) and alternator tested fine and I just redid the wiring however the battery is still not holding charge.

Well about 2 weeks ago my car was acting really strange. My afrs on idle would be around 17-18 and my boost gauge kept powering on and off so I figured battery was dying or alternator was toast.

When I got a minute I had the battery charged and they claimed they tested it and it tested good. So I took the alternator off and had it tested and I watched them test it and it passed.

After the battery and alternator passed I decided to take a closer look at the alternator extension I had made to reach the placement of the 2JZ alternator. I found some weak connections within the extensions and within the actual clip. So I re-did everything. Bought new connectors to put within the clip and just ran new wires to them. Then I butt-end connected to the original wires on the driver's side of the bay and heat shrinked the butt-end connections.

I started the car up after the wiring was done and after I had the battery charged and I read 13.X volts off of start up. Then after about 5 minutes of warming up it went to high 12.X volts. Then I went for a drive and right off the bat when I started driving it went down to 11.X so obviously it was draning however the volts would rise occasionally. Like from 11.4-11.7 within the matter of 2 minutes. Then back down again.

Well the test drive stayed around there for voltage but then later that night (about 5 hours or so later) I remote started the car and it ran for about 7 minutes for warm up. Then I get in the car and the SAFC is reading 8.4 volts and the car is miss firing and the lights are really dim.

I really am out of ideas here. Keep in mind this car ran on this setup for about two months without charging issues.

Help please!!!!

Thanks guys.

-Nick-

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Hey Nick, did you have to touch the alternator wiring for your swap? Maybe you mixed up some wires?

I had a bad starter making it seem like my charging system was going bad, I was so sure I had a parasitic draw. I got a new starter and did the starter relay mod and every things been fine ever since.

That doesn't sound like it's your problem, but you"ll figure it out.

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
When I had the alternator tested I had a new belt that I had been meaning to put onto it so that was my chance to. So i'ts got a new belt.

Scott, the wiring was the same and worked for about two months. Would the starter relay cause it to drain the battery after being started?

Thanks guys.

-Nick-

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
That's a good question. I'll do that to test if I've got some electrical draw open in the car that's constantly drawing form the battery.

Im going to take the batter to have it charged and retested again just to make sure.

It acted like it wanted to hold charge during the test drive but it was just going down slowly then it would work back up sometimes.

Huh..

Thanks Scott!

-Nick-