Need help in a buying decision

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
After selling my 89 turbo I'm thinking about rejoining the supra game. I have some concerns about the 87 turbo I'm looking at. The guy that owns it bought it the way it is and knows next to nothing about it. He let a guy look at it to buy and the potential buyer messed with the knobs on the safc or maft and now the car runs super rich, hard starts, and doesn't want to stay running. I've done next to no tuning but I know the safc and maft are easy to deal with. Here is the build specs he sent me from the previous owner.

76mm turbo T4 tubular manifold Front facing intake manifold 50mm HKS (style) wastegate Ross .020 Forged Pistons Shot-peened Rods Toga Oil Pump 3in downpipe/exhaust Aeromotive Fuel pressure Regulator ACT 6 puck clutch, 2600 pressure plate ARP studs 85ft. lbs. Cometic MHG Greddy Profec B elec. boost controller AEM UEGO Wideband SAFC II Autometer Boost gauge 255 walbro fuel pump 550cc injectors RC Maf Translator GM 3bar sensor 3inch IC piping SSQV blow off valve Front mount intercooler K&N intake KYB GR-2 struts eibichi lowering springs Racing seats

Shot peened rods kinda seems odd to me givin everything else that's there. Anyhow guess my question is should I run very far away? Seller asking price is 2500.

This forum has always been great to me. Thanks in advance.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I would take a compression tester and run the test. Make sure that shortblock is up to par. Given that it runs rich and neither one of you can fix it now you can use that as leverage. Knock off a couple of hundred to get somebody else to tune it for you. Learn how to do it yourself and fix it later.

The mods you will not be able to visually inspect are the pistons, clutch set, & fuel pump. If everything else is there I'd hit it. That's pretty cheap price for all of those mods though, so something tells me there's a catch. More than likely you're going to have to turn some wrenches to get things going.
The mods alone would be nearly worth what he's asking for just in case you have to part it out and recoup your money back. I'd offer him $2000 and see what his reaction is. You know it's not just as easy as turning some knobs and getting it to run perfect. If that was the case then why is he selling it so cheap? There's something else going on with this car.

Buyer beware with this purchase, but if I had the money I'd buy it for the mods. This is a project car, and you will be working on it to get it to run right. Worst case senario is the motor is shot, but you'll be able to tell by doing the compression test.

Is the body clean? Have you heard it run, or is he just telling you it's hard to start and stay running? What brand turbo is that 76mm? Can anybody in your area help you work on this car? Are you mechanically inclined? You're going to have to have a lot of know how for this one. Good luck.

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Yea body is clean from what I can see in the one pic he posted. He says no rust at all. And no I haven't heard it run yet. The guy lives 3 hrs from me. There are no supras in my area except the one I sold lol. He doesn't have an idea what brand the turbo is I asked. Is there a place he could look for markings and tell me? Where he is located there are plenty supra enthusiasts I just don't know any of them real well. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I changed the tranny on my old supra and did all the mechanic work myself the entire time I owned it. I know what to look for just confused about the car running fine then supposibly not running fine. Oh and he was just telling me its hard to start. But if its flooding I'm sure it is hard to start. Thank you very much for the reply.