Need help identifying this

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
RallySoob said:
I see where your coming from on Dry Weather Racing, but I'm gonna have to say that statements incorrect... Full on race cars are equipped with hi-performance brakes that are power assisted but still no ABS. Hi Performance Street cars like viper,ferrari, lamborghini are equipped with hi performance ABS systems that allow much more slip and have much more complex computer systems that evaluate all sorts of input and not just the driver's input. End result, you get the stopping power of non-abs while it's still there waiting for full lock-up just in case.

Pro: you can literaly feel the tires starting to lock before hand with hi-po racing brakes Con: but you can easily lock them up if you forget to PUMP THE BRAKE.

***Solution: Don't panic and slam on the brakes /or/ use ABS system to compensate for your miscalculations...

--I would use ABS on a road going built Supra for daily driving AND take out the fuse for races and impressing your friends:)

*im at work, just typed that really fast....

thats all that i'd use it for. i agree when you have control over your car and you're thinking about racing sure, but i'm sure even competant good drivers can lock it up under certain circumstances, and with abs i think your car will stop quicker...i might be wrong. dont quote me on that part. but yeah...on the road, i think its advantagous...nobody should be doing anything on public roads that would warrant disabling the ABS unless it causes problems in normal driving...like the snow thing....

BTW...what's wrong with ABS in the snow? does it keep the brakes from applying much at all? i've only driven in snow/shush ONCE so i'm not too familliar with the best way to stop in snow... i'm thinking maybe the low-grip snow confuses the ABS computer, and really screws with the break power?...

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
I was saying you definately want ABS on snow because its so slick. Without it you are likely going to lock up the brakes every time you press the pedal down. Since there is no traction, the tires never recieve any stoping friction. You can pump all you want, but you can't see or feel your wheel spin so it's only guess work.
SO the ABS pumps the brake for you at a rate of like 10 to Subaru's 60 times per second. It will quit pumping when SOME traction is found. The ABS will do much better than a person could in finding traction on a superslick surface like ICE and most Snow. The computer IS smarter than you in this case only:)
HOW EVER- A rally car would have 100's of 2inch titanium studs that rip through any ice and find traction, thus not needing ABS because now it almost drives like it did on gravel.
-Hope this makes a little sense

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
RallySoob said:
I was saying you definately want ABS on snow because its so slick. Without it you are likely going to lock up the brakes every time you press the pedal down. Since there is no traction, the tires never recieve any stoping friction. You can pump all you want, but you can't see or feel your wheel spin so it's only guess work.
SO the ABS pumps the brake for you at a rate of like 10 to Subaru's 60 times per second. It will quit pumping when SOME traction is found. The ABS will do much better than a person could in finding traction on a superslick surface like ICE and most Snow. The computer IS smarter than you in this case only:)
HOW EVER- A rally car would have 100's of 2inch titanium studs that rip through any ice and find traction, thus not needing ABS because now it almost drives like it did on gravel.
-Hope this makes a little sense

actually i read Cyro-slash's post and thought ABS during winter was somehow bad...contradictory to your explination and what i already knew...i did know most of what you said...and your explination was great, thanks.

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
Figit090 said:
actually i read Cyro-slash's post and thought ABS during winter was somehow bad...contradictory to your explination and what i already knew...i did know most of what you said...and your explination was great, thanks.

Well thats how I understand it... Seems to be working for me so far. If i had a ice racing tires I would be pulling my ABS in the snow 4Sure:naughty: