Need help finding a third brake light for this spoiler

v8killa11

Feb 2, 2016
VA
Hey guys, just bought a 89 mk3 2j from a member here (Torque). But i need a third brake light to pass VA inspection, can anyone point me into the right direction to find this? I have been searching his old posts and found out that this spoiler is a three piece replica spoiler that from my understanding has been discontinued. ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

This is the best picture i could find that shows the missing third brake light.

Cheers!

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
Check the for-sale section of this forum, I would buy a used stock one and try to fit it's internals into that one's brake light lens (I see by the pic it's not "missing", it's just not working for whatever reason). If that won't work, get the used one paint matched.

Congrats on the pick up by the way. Fantastic car!

Last edited:

v8killa11

Feb 2, 2016
VA
^^^ actually it is missing. There is no lens in the hole where the light mounts. There is just nothing there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
So it is missing the light right? I'm trying to understand the problem you're having. The OEM spoiler is missing the light, it's not that the spoiler is aftermarket and it doesn't have the light.

v8killa11

Feb 2, 2016
VA
Yes correct it is missing.. I was told that this spoiler is NOT oem but a replica from years back. It's seems that I need to just try and see if the oem light will mount in there

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
99% sure that its an oem spoiler, Kaminari & Regulus are the only two aftermarket units remotely resemble stock that I have ever seen and it is definitely not either of those.

Erkenz

Apr 25, 2006
Michigan
I'm not sure if this helps but there should be a way to run a LED light strip to the spoiler, just to pass inspection until you find the real thing, of course.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

v8killa11

Feb 2, 2016
VA
^ I would be interested in doing something like this. But there is nothing there except for a hole

Do you have any thoughts on how to run the led strip? I'm going to search now

zman6127

ZMAN
Dec 30, 2008
Fort Wayne, IN
I have one! 1997-2001 Camry spoiler led light fits it perfectly. Only thing is you have to sway the pigtail and yours seems to be missing since the original lamp
Is gone

v8killa11

Feb 2, 2016
VA
zman6127;2070247 said:
I have one! 1997-2001 Camry spoiler led light fits it perfectly. Only thing is you have to sway the pigtail and yours seems to be missing since the original lamp
Is gone

so what would be the solution to this?

zman6127

ZMAN
Dec 30, 2008
Fort Wayne, IN
Go to junk yard and find a 97-01 Camry with rear spoiler and remove the lamp and cut the body side pigtail also and cut your pigtail off and splice the Camry one in and plug n play

v8killa11

Feb 2, 2016
VA
zman6127;2070256 said:
Go to junk yard and find a 97-01 Camry with rear spoiler and remove the lamp and cut the body side pigtail also and cut your pigtail off and splice the Camry one in and plug n play

thanks for the reply, the width of the opening is 18in..

if i can find the camry light ima do that, if not i may order an led strip from spoilerlights.com and some how splice it into the brake.

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
Weird.. measured mine and it's only 16"

I'd just get a used OEM spoiler that's all ready to go and have it painted.. That car's too nice for jimmy rigging lol. Bolt it on, pass inspection, then get it painted later.

DSCI0001.jpg

DSCI0002.jpg

(my lights are smoked lol)

There's a used center section on Ebay for $120. Not sure if it'll line up with the side pieces of that aftermarket one though.. I could take some measurements.

-edit- Here ya go
"3pc wing: $120" http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...-Targa-Turbo-model-shell-a-few-extra-parts-GA
but make sure you ask if there's any scratches in the lens (that can't be buffed out)although the bodyshop could probably fill them in with clearcoat.

Last edited:

v8killa11

Feb 2, 2016
VA
Herndon/ fallschurch! ^^ that would be a blessing. Just let me know

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
oh dude, i work in fallschurch at the skyline towers. but i live in sf. Would love to see your car in person btw

v8killa11

Feb 2, 2016
VA
akito;2070293 said:
oh dude, i work in fallschurch at the skyline towers. but i live in sf. Would love to see your car in person btw

yeah anytime, lmk when i could come by and check this light piece out.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
GC89;2070227 said:
99% sure that its an oem spoiler, Kaminari & Regulus are the only two aftermarket units remotely resemble stock that I have ever seen and it is definitely not either of those.

There is an aftermarket replica of the factory oem spoiler. I forget who made it. I have one. It does not use the original factory led light. Unfortunately mine is also missing the light.