Need help diagnosing a vacuum leak: intake side has a loud squeal...

CampbellsChunkySoupra

best be eating your soup!
Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
Intake side has a pretty loud squeal coming from it. i havent been able to get it to idle up with hitting everywhere with brake cleaner. it gets quieter and goes away right when i go from vacuum to 0psi and then into boost its not there. what could this be? is it blowing or sucking in air? its behind the intake manifold somewhere on the intake side behind the strut tower.

intake manifold gaskets? one of the hoses? need some ideas.

thanks.

-Tyler

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
spraying a little bit of carb cleaner around suspect areas helps to pinpoint leaks...the idle changes drastically when you find the spot. from the sounds of the squeal you describe, probably intake manifold gasket.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Do a vacuum leak test. After it's pressurized, using a spray bottle with soapy water, start spraying around the area you think its leaking and it will bubble up. Then you should have a starting point. GL

spoolint78

Representing T.O
Mar 30, 2005
T.O
my brother has the same problem in his mkiv.
turns out to be the intake mani gasket.
when we pushed the tb the sound changed.

looking into replacing it.

Spray it with water or carb cleaner and see where its coming from.

CampbellsChunkySoupra

best be eating your soup!
Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
yeah. we didnt touch that when we pulled the motor so i dont think it is the problem. however, i could be wrong. its a JDM swap so ill check that tomorrow. its loud as hell though. ive never heard anything squeal like that for a leak. i can hear it at idle and while im on cruise control. it drives fine though. tries to kill itself when i let it idle though.