Need help deleting the ABS?

Emilian

Sep 1, 2010
Farmington Hills, MI
I've done some research through the forum about deleting the ABS, but nobody really gives a straight up answer. There is a lot of bickering about not deleting the ABS and the thread looses focus of the whole subject.

I know the brake actuator and the ABS computer needs to be taken out. What else do I need to do? Buy a non ABS brake master cylinder? New brake lines?

Thank you,
Emilian

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Buy the Non-ABS unit, and Lines. :)

My take without the bitching.

If you plan on running a Big Brake Kit ever keep ABS. If not ditch it, and learn not to lock up. :)

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
didn't search hard enough.
supraguru05;1185424 said:
a simple order to champion remove the ecu and the abs module and your good to go. did it last year due to bad wheel sensors and or broken solonoids. its on my race car anyway so im good without it.

90413-10203
47371-30010
47322-14230
47312-14160
47314-14141
47313-14222

reference these two figures and figure out whats not the same.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=4708&P=1
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=4708&P=2

i also have since switched my car to non abs spindles

also i am not liable if you kill yourself when your brakes fail. this is to be done on a car that is never to be driven or liscened or insured

you're welcome.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
you dont exactly have to remove it. pull the fuse in the underhood panel and the abs will go to fail safe manual mode. if you want abs again just put the fuse in.

as the abs is listed as safety equipment there is issues with removing it completely. for a dedicated track car/trailer queen it dont matter, but if your going to be driving it to and from the track, and get in an accident, your insurance company can blame you for the accident, regardless of weither you were at fault or not. they look at it as "if the abs was still there, it could have been avoided". a few of my friends have been screwed out settlement due to removal of air bag, casue they look at it as "if the air bag was deployed, i could have prevented the face plant into the dash."

so check local laws before you disable it completly.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Your insurance company could do that... but there's a strong argument that since it was only an option on the car, they can't require you to have it. Especially if you use OEM parts to delete it.

They could also say that your modified engine made the car go faster than the stock brakes could handle... so really, they could screw you one way or the other.

Airbags are another story... I'd only disable an airbag if I was short or had health problems that an airbag would conflict with (and then you can sign a form with the insurance company that it was disabled to avoid problems with them later). This is why I buy old cars...lol. I can ditch the stock wheel on my supra without worries.

I took my ABS off for the same reasons... none of it worked, plus my new transmission didn't have the sensor hole in it cause it was from a non-ABS car. I was going to fix it all, but I have no money to buy another transmission (or the sensors and unit for that matter). I kept the ABS master cylinder though, I just swapped the rest. Hardest part was adding the extra front line, and that takes all of 10 minutes.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
that is true destrux, but alot of options are often embedded in the vin number, more specifically the sequential number. a vin seach can tell you the options on the car. by vin on carfax without buying a account, shows that mine is the sport roof. so still could be an issue, gonna buy an account and see if abs shows up

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I've got a set of Non ABS lines for sale if you're interested. They're a pita to ship though so it's not going to be super cheap.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
^ well call me god then

I can stop faster in snow and rain then the stock abs can
and in the dry the stock brake's are so shitty it hard to lock them up any way (pending on weight)

granted in the 90's abs is pretty good and faily smart 2000 there dam right just nutty

I am am not the frist to say this

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
bioskyline;1661376 said:
that is true destrux, but alot of options are often embedded in the vin number, more specifically the sequential number.

Good point, I forgot about that. The dealer would have records of what came on the car I think too. They always ask for the VIN when you call for parts... so they know what fits and what doesn't.

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
Poodles;1661470 said:
Good, now try and steer while doing that.

I rest my case.

lol, exactly, hell if being "god" means just locking up your brakes and praying you dont have to turn, then i think we are all better than ABS lol

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
barkz;1661542 said:
lol, exactly, hell if being "god" means just locking up your brakes and praying you dont have to turn, then i think we are all better than ABS lol

^This.

I am still considering it though, because it could potentially be a lot cheaper to just delete the ABS than to fix it... I gotta take a look at my unit to see what is actually wrong, but I can't get any fluid to the calipers. Dealer looked at it while I had it in and they said there was no fluid to the fronts after the actuator. So if I have to choose between no front brakes (what I have now) and full brakes but no ABS, it's not really that hard of a decision.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
NashMan;1661438 said:
^ well call me god then

I can stop faster in snow and rain then the stock abs can
and in the dry the stock brake's are so shitty it hard to lock them up any way (pending on weight)

The only way thats possible is to brake, without locking up the wheels. But then the abs would have never been activated anyways.

If the abs activates, you have already lost control.
If your so good at braking without locking up any wheels, it shouldn't matter if the ABS is there or not. So why not just leave it, for when you actually need it.

Emilian

Sep 1, 2010
Farmington Hills, MI
Back on topic.

After looking at the two blueprints. I highlighted the parts that I need for the conversion. Please let me know if I got everything.

NON-ABS
sm_photo_missing.jpg

ABS
sm_photo_missing.jpg

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
I thought the master cyl was different too.... or were you just going to use the same one?