need help, car wont start.

turbo87mk3

Mar 6, 2010
holley
ok so this morning my supra didnt start. i replaced the ignition cylinder and still wont start. my battery is fine because the headlights and horn work fine. but nothing happens when i turn the key. i checked all fuses and replaced the ignition and engine and ecu fuses. still nothing.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
When you say "nothing" happens - what do you mean? No clicks? Do the dash lights dim when you turn the key to start?

turbo87mk3

Mar 6, 2010
holley
pretty much yea. i turn the key, and it makes the normal noises from the ignition cylinder( the tumbler turning and what not) no lights come on, no beeps, no nothing. but i can toggle my headlights and they will pop up and turn on, and my horn still works. then agian i had to hardwire a horn because the stock one was messed up and i replaced my steering wheel with a grant wheel.

edit: i just replaced the "MAIN" relay this morning and nothing happened still. >_<

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
Do you still have your factory anti-theft. If you do they say you can get out of your car and lock the driver door and then wait about a minute and then unlock your door. It supposed to reset the anti-theft system. If that don't work try the passenger side door. Something to try.

turbo87mk3

Mar 6, 2010
holley
i have no idea. i did read that the stock anti-theft system was tied into the stock radio. and the car came with an aftermarket head-unit in it. from the previous owner. i do know this. my lights pop up and random times and start flickering. someone on here told me that was my security system. but why it would do it at random times is beyond me.

edit: still nothing. this is just plain stupid. the car was running friday night i turn her off get out go in the house, sleep. i wake up and go to move the car saturday and nothing happens. this makes my faith in the supra deminish.

Last edited:

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
Yes it will do it random of times. I was going to the track one time and I stopped and got something to eat on the way and when I shut my car off it would not start back. So I lock my doors and went to the track to watch and when I come back to unlock my car it would start. Then I read about the anti- theft.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
The anti-theft makes the negative to the starter relay. The starter relay is located in the passenger side kick panel. Take the kick panel off and it is the green relay. Have someone to turn the ignition switch over like you are cranking your car and you hold your hand on the relay. If the relay is clicking then it is not your anti-theft. If it is not clicking then you need to look in to bypassing your anti-theft. They are some post here talking about bypassing it. I did mine and it was not hard. With that said next you need to splice a wire into the starter solenoid wire #14 is good enough for test purposes and make sure it is in neutral if a stick or it is in park if it is automatic. Because when you do this test it is bypassing all the safety features. Touch the wire to the positive terminal of the battery. If it starts like this then you need to add a relay. They are posts talking about this in the tech post section. Look up adding a starter relay. They say the factory wiring is to small. I am in the process of trying this myself. I ran a wire up from my starter solenoid, but guess what when you want it to act up it never does. But it is still there for me to try when it does. I just put a wire nut on the end of the wire. Make sure the starter relay is clicking before trying the second part of the post.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Cps will cause it to not start but you will still get all the lights.

Did you check all the fuses under hood and in the kick panel. Also check to make sure you battery terminals are clean and tight.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
He said I thought that the car won't even turn over. Maybe I am missing something here. The cps has nothing to do with it turning over.

turbo87mk3

Mar 6, 2010
holley
thanks everyone. i figured it out. its the most unbelievable thing to. you know the ALT fusible link in the engine compartment fuse box? well i am thinking this is how it happened. that blew then the previous owner tried to take it out and broke it so the prongs stuck in the block, then they stuck a 40A fuse over the prongs to get them by. then that came loose and if im correct thats why the power to the interior was gone. the na few minutes ago i was out there and i pushed it in and all my interior stuff came back on.