need help. aem v1 question.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
hello all. just a quick aem question.
is there any way to feed the stock tach a signal from the aem so that the tach works?
i have sti coils installed, so everything under the hood that WOULD have sent the signal is gone.
thanks in advance......

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
You would need to piggyback a signal from one of the ignition outputs on the ECU that you are using. I don't think it has any other provision for tach output.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
The AEM can output a tacho signal, but I never got it to work on my original 1991 Turbo Tacho. I bought an aftermarket (Autometer) unit that does the job pretty well.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
So get a little one! Mine is a 3.5" one that's pretty close the the OEM tach in size. I too, didn't want the giganto-tacho so I got the lil guy.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
Did some looking - the V1 does indeed have the ability to output a tacho signal on a low side output. You might need to fiddle with the settings and run it through a tach adapter box MSD 8920 to make it work properly with the factory instrument cluster.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
thanks funkycheeze. i might end up wiring in a small aftermarket tach, seeing as my car now revs past what the stock tach reads. ;)