Need advice with a difficult decision

I need help deciding whether or not to rebuild my supra or get a truck. Before you jump to rebuilding the supra I plan on completely restoring it with new everything, body work, paint, and an engine capable of about 650hp, but i would have to wait about five years to get the money up which means i would get the truck till i can do the right thing for the supra.

If i rebuilt the supra now it would have to be a bare bones minimum rebuild, but with the replacement engine i have the cost of the rebuild is the same amount as if i were to get the truck. My current engine has no compression in cylinder 1, and some of the other cylinders are starting to loose compression as well (thanks rev motorsports), the loss of compression is from scoring on the cylinder walls that is too deep to bore out and of course the 7m can't be sleeved. The car also likes to randomly engine brake even at full throttle and i can't decide if its from the engine mechanical issues or if its because of the maft pro unit having messed up some wires on the harness to the ecu. Im tempted to remove the maft pro unit but even if it solves the engine braking issue i still have an expensive build with the used engine i got.

The used engine supposedly was developing rod knock and hasn't been used in at least 3 years. i bought it planning on replacing everything for the performance build but if i rebuild it now i would be forced to cut more corners than i would be willing to.

No im not doing a 2jz swap.

The last thing that is making the decision difficult is snow, i love the supra, with studded snow tires it is amazing but because of how my intercooler was mounted the bottom pipe is a snow plow and i have found myself having to reverse into certain places because of it. the other downside to the intercooler location is how scary it is to see a big chunk of ice in the road and the possibility of it puncturing that line, and the fact that the couplers scrape on big dips.

The truck in question is the chevy k20, ive seen it with both the 350 and the 454, we havn't seen too many severe snow storms recently but there were instances last year where i was stuck at home with the supra because it couldn't make it out of the parking lot. i also like the idea of having a vehicle that can tow the supra to a shop. I wouldn't have to worry about emissions on the truck because it was made up to 85 which means i can get classic plates on it. im not concerned about gas milage, i think the utility of the vehicle makes up for it.

Thank you for sticking this far through the post, i just feel a bit lost on what to do here so thanks for your opinions.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Hard to give personal advice on a forum but this onea easy, if it were me I would get the truck for practicality and slowly rebuild the supra to something you will be happy with for a long time...

I was just going to replace the hg on my supra. Ended up tearing it all down and fully rebuilding it. Glad I did too because I had a rod bearing that was very close to gone. Anyway, every time I went out to the shop I ran into the "do I reuse it or replace it now while its easy" situation. Fast forward over a year and I still have not started it back up, but wouldn't change it for anything.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
I too would buy the truck and take your time with the Supra.

My first supra had a tendency to break down and leave me without a car for weeks. And, while winter driving A supra is an absolute blast, it ruined the body in two years.
I now have an F150 for a DD but drive the supra as much as possible during the summer.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Me three.

Get the truck, and for God's sake, park the Supra over the winter!. Snow is SO hard on the chassis. (My poor '89 is rotted out pretty bad because it was my daily driver for a number of years.)

If you have to sell/unload the Supra... Do it and move on. get another one when time and funds are available.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I would take your time with the Supra. Do it once, do it right.

One of the good things about living here in Alabama in the winter is that they don't put down salt (or have any to put down) because it rarely ices over or snows so I can drive the supra all year. The bad part is they don't know how to deal with it either, so when it does ice or snow the city just puts down sand for "traction".

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Hey man. Andy here, we worked together at Toyota in Centennial. I can't seem to remember your name, but I'm thinking maybe Dave?

Anyways, I say get the truck (or any other reliable daily). I've enjoyed my car hobby MUCH more since having another reliable car to drive. Doing any build right means taking your time and that's just so damned hard without another winter-friendly daily.

I'm getting a Tacoma soon to replace my MR2 as my second car. As a fellow Coloradan and somebody who has at least met you and spent time in the same garage... Get the truck. :)

Do the Supra as a side project. Do it right, take your time, and the end result will be well worth the sacrifice of not daily-ing the Supra.

Good luck man.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
yeah a supra for winter is foolish, I got an awd car for winter and the supra for summer, even though it's usually down half the summer it;s worth it when i get to drive it and it stays in the same condition, unlike my other vehicles that wear much quicker being driven daily.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
not sure what the laws are there, but here(ontario) classic (historic 30yr) plates basically mean I cannot drive it; on dates, to the cottage, on vacation, to work
just; testing, exhibitions, parades, and a few other loose worded phrases, and failing the attitude test can result in plate removal, but stickers were $18 VS $84

I used to drive a 305 86 heavy half ton... pretty simple vehicles. not many complaints, took a beating like a champ... but a 454 in the snow, maybe not so much better than a sports car...

I support your resto choice, and yeah it will take years doing it right on weekends.. etc.. budgeting $20K+ would be about right....

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Truck.

You may estimate a finish date for the supra. But everyone knows that's truly impossible.
Supra + Winter = snow drifting. Truck (4x4?) + winter = less snow drifting & less getting stuck.
Do it slow & don't cheap out on important things & you WILL meet your goals.
But I'm sure you already knew that.

thanks for all the input guys, ill get the truck and probably with the 350, i usually like going overboard just in case but after speaking to a trusted shop (Gunn automotive) i decided the 454 is a bit excessive and the 350 will work well enough for anything i throw at it. also just a thought but any opinions on water to air intercoolers?

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
I would get the truck and take time on the Supra. I have a 1972 K/5 Blazer that has been in my family since new, love driving it in the winter, especially to different ski resorts. This December the 350 is getting rebuilt when I am on vacation. Gas mileage sux though.