Need advice on headlight/foglight wiring

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I re-wired my lights like off-road guys do to aftermarket relays. I wired the old power wires to 1 relay for low, and another for high. Then grounded through the relay to the chassis. I did not use the old grounds. Now I have no power at the fuse box (under hood) for either headlight, and subsequently, no power at the relays (for switch). For some other un-known reason my foglights no longer turn on either. I at least triple checked my work. :1zhelp:

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I was looking at the wiring and it looks like the circuit is wired backwards???? (from factory) still need to figure out why I have no power in the circuit.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's a ground controlled circuit like everything else.

You would use the switch to ground the relay coil and the relay switch to ground the head light.

Might want to start by checking your fuses as well.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
well. fuses are all good. I didn't use my power wires to the lights for anything. I thought I had my voltmeter leads backwards. thought it was a ground -_- re-wiring now. hopefully it'll be fine

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
oh, thanks. I was looking at a canadian diagram... apparently ours are different. I'm being told that all I need to do is load the (curently) un-used passenger headlight circuit.