Need a whole thread to post my MKIV! Come see why!!! (56K DIE!!!)

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
I just went through your thread, and when I saw the first pics of the car when you got it, I thought to myself "no way that is salvageable...or at least not worth the $$ to fix" :slap: I love being proved wrong!!

Awesome project, you and your dad should feel pretty damn good on how this thing is turning out!! Really great work. Glad to see a mkiv being resurrected!

BTW, is the 6-speed still on the list? Or are you keeping the auto?

Subscribed :thumbup::thumbup:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I would think they were the same as well. It doesn't seem financially feasible to have two different boddies made at one time, but it's not like I've never been wrong before.

Keylan, I want to see the fenders put on this thing and the hood back on. You don't need no stinkin motor in it............:biglaugh:

Adrian98

Banned
Dec 19, 2006
orange county
noah89t;904058 said:
will the 6-speed fit in the tranny tunnel of the auto? i know the tunnels on the mkiii are the same for auto and 5-speed, but someone tole me the mkiv is different, i don't know if i believe him.
the tunnels are different, well the top part of the tunnel.
there's write ups on Supraforums about doing the 6speed swap. I don't think you have to do it but it makes getting the tranny out when you do a clutch much easier. i think the part from toyota is around $150

TopNotch2JZ

Restoration bliss
Dec 16, 2007
Corner, Alabama
Adrian98 is indeed correct, the tunnels are different but only the top part. Its not hard to modify at all. Just cut out the top part of yours and put the new one in. Matter of fact I already have that piece too!!! Sawed it out of the car I got the clip off of. Hehe.

Jay the fenders are actually in primer and ready to paint!!!! Hood is waiting in McCalla for me to come pick up! LOL. I bought the thing about 4 months ago but still haven't went and got it. LOL.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
He's probably sold it to another MKIV guy by now..........OH wait their aren't any other MKIV guys in Alabama...........:biglaugh:

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
TopNotch2JZ;903963 said:
6 speed is not only still on the list, but it's sitting in the basement waiting for me to get the money to finish the swap. LOL.

Keylan

Niiice. I'm looking forward to some updates when you get further!!

Keep up the great work. You ever think about doing this kind of thing for a living/side job? Seems like you could make some real money, the way you are doing it. Invest under 10k, sell it for 20+...

TopNotch2JZ

Restoration bliss
Dec 16, 2007
Corner, Alabama
Its actually what my dad has been doing for years now. It is something that has crossed my mind about doing it, but instead I want to open my own custom fab shop really. I will probably still do it a little on the side though. Not full time like my dad did though.

Keylan

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
This is a badass thread, the car is looking great, and most of all, you have one really cool dad. My dad was always like that when we were younger, always helping us follow our dreams, consider yourself very lucky!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
enough with all of the compliments. His head will be so big, he won't be able to get into his garage and work on his car anymore, and I'd really like for him to finish it so we can go out and pick up some honeys............uh, I mean do some racing. (that last part is in case my wife reads this, but Keylan......you know what I'm saying....:evil2:)

TopNotch2JZ

Restoration bliss
Dec 16, 2007
Corner, Alabama
Almost forgot to post this up over here! lol.

Well this weekend the woman wasn't at my house bothering me and taking up all my time! LOL. (hope she doesn't read this). Anyways, so I got to do a couple things that I have been wanting to finish up while I await my steering rack to get here. The first and least significant of the 2 was repainting my timing cover that was silver and came from a lexus. So I popped off the lexus emblem, masked off the letters, and painted it black. Looks much better now!! Here are some pics.

Here you can see where I taped off the letters and the glue still on it from the lexus emblem. Also what I used to mask the letters off. Pretty good huh?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here's the two pieces painted.

p919975_1.jpg

Here's the paint I used. From advanced.

p919975_2.jpg

Finished product!!!

p919975_3.jpg

p919975_4.jpg

p919975_5.jpg

Back on the motor! Looks much better IMO. Very happy with the results!

p919975_6.jpg

p919975_7.jpg

TopNotch2JZ

Restoration bliss
Dec 16, 2007
Corner, Alabama
Well the second, and most significant, thing that I did was my headlights. I was a little intimidated at first but once I started I was suprised at how easy it actually was. I don't have any pics of disassembly, but its pretty straigt forward. I just used a heat gun and heated up a section of the headlight where the 2 pieces come together. Let it get hot enough and just pry the 2 pieces apart with a screwdriver very carefully. I would work on 1 spot at a time until I got the whole thing done. I felt more comfortable with the heatgun than I did sticking the whole thing in the oven which is another way to heat up the glue. But here are pics during the sanding and painting process.

Started with this

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Started sanding with "scotch brite"

p919976_1.jpg

Fully sanded

p919976_2.jpg

Painted using the same paint as the spark plug cover. Duplicolor high heat

p919976_3.jpg

Before and after

p919976_4.jpg

Masking tape removed

p919976_5.jpg

Both done

p919976_6.jpg

Finished!!! (well I still gotta re-seal them, but thats it)

p919976_7.jpg

p919976_8.jpg

p919976_9.jpg

p919976_10.jpg

Keylan