need 7M-GE coolant line and air line Help

Project:XJZCressy

Oct 5, 2010
Franklin, TN
I have a 1990 MX83 Toyota Cressida, stock 7M-GE motor, took my intake manifold off, where i screwed up was letting my friend help me. he undid alot of coolant lines and air lines, with out marking them, now i have no idea where any of the lines go, im not too much familiar with this site, if any one can help me or give me pictures of where all the lines go, i would apreciate it.

also im having ignition problems, my cylinder number 5 is dead, i did a compression test. all of the cylinders read 75 to 85 in compression with the 1st puff and by the 4th or 5th puff they where around 150, my cylinder number 5 was a 50 in the 1st puff, at the end of the 5th puff it was a 85. when ive driven on a dead cylinder for 1000 miles, when all of a sudden my car wont start, i changed the starter, it needed one any ways, n i did a spark test, when you hook up a spark plug light inline with the ignition system, it only sparked once n never again, i took off the distributor cap, it dint move, i literally have fuel on my plug wires from unburned fuel, and running rich, i need to know how to test the whole system back to the battery.

if i cant fix the problems soon, im probably going to put my cressy aside for a while, i really dont want to, but i just need a reliable daily driver. and off topic but my plans for this car, next year i plan to invest in a 2jz or 1uz. but i need a dd for now! if any one can direct me towards the right direction i would apreciate it.

7M-GE FTW

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
This is what you need: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/default.aspx That's the Factory Manual, there are diagrams showing you were all the coolant lines go here: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291410/catalog.aspx?F=1603&P=1

As for the dead cylinder, I think you're looking at some considerable work. If a cylinder doesn't fire it still reaches full compression so low numbers mean worn rings or BHG. If your plugs are fouled it's not unusual for for them not to spark at all so an inline test light is not an accurate test. Clean the plugs and ground one to the engine, see if it sparks. The TSRM posted above will show you how to diagnose the ignition system if it still fails.

Driving long distance with the car not firing properly can lead to cylinder wash so better check your oil to see if it smells like gas. Contamination can toast your bearings so check it soon and change the oil before you drive again if necessary.

Oct 5, 2010
Franklin, TN
awwssooomeness, so i drained my radiator, took timing cover off, just wanted to see if it moved (i was afraid i snapped a cam or something), then i turned it n it, n it did run, n then i tried one more time, baaam, saw the bald spot on the belt, right at the bottom! i apreciate your help benchwarmer, now all i need to do is find where the vacuum lines go, replace timing belt, n both serpatine belts n da cressida will be golden again! :D

Oct 5, 2010
Franklin, TN
thanks! im currently replacing the spark plugs with NGKs, just ordered the new timing belt, so i gtta wait until friday, to put all my belts on (including serpatenes), right now im going to change my oil, and take the radiator out, so i can have some room to work with! im glad 7ms r not an interference motor! other wise id get boooned, in 2 fridays from this friday, i plan to but a new distributor, n hopefully this car (will post up pics later)should last me till next summer, aka this upcoming summer is when i saved up enough money for a new daily driver (maybe a mark 3 supra) and get that 2jz from zerolift. im still looking into management systems 4 it, i know i dont want a piggy back, im looking more for computer management systems. and i know i dont want a vvti 2jz. i forgot what transmission im going with.

Oct 5, 2010
Franklin, TN
lol! i was thinking about autozone one for 250 minus core trade in= 200 lol! but imma look for one, theres not alot of supras or cressidas in the junkyards now-a-days... :/ wich is a good thing! :D

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
ohhh i swear i looked them up in the past and they were 400+

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

ahhhhhhhhh i was looking up cps lol. thats 400+

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
'82-'86. TRD parts do turn up in junkyards it's just very rare. My local pick-a-part just got a complete 84 300ZX Anniversary Edition with only 85,000 miles on it. Just because it's rare doesn't mean some moron won't junk it.

Oct 5, 2010
Franklin, TN
haha! there is a ton of idiots in this world indeed...

a low down on my progress:

drained the radiator, pulled it out, took off both serpatine belts, now im looking for n air compressor, and a harmonic balancer holder tool/crank pulley holding tool. :( shhhhheeeeehh!

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Getting the pulley off is easy. Just use a long breaker bar and crank the engine to loosen it. Tightening that stupid bolt car be a real pain. Personally, I just feed some rope into the #1 cylinder on the compression stroke and use that to lock the crank, then I can torque it down.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
benchwarmer;1634952 said:
Getting the pulley off is easy. Just use a long breaker bar and crank the engine to loosen it. Tightening that stupid bolt car be a real pain. Personally, I just feed some rope into the #1 cylinder on the compression stroke and use that to lock the crank, then I can torque it down.

+1 I did this. Loosing is one of those things that you'll have to just mess around with.......The longer the breaker bar, the more leverage, the more torque to loosen it. 5-spd? or auto? Maybe you can try jamming the flywheel/Torque converter. Thats what I did on my n/a years ago. It worked for me.

Oct 5, 2010
Franklin, TN
i got it off and put the timing belt on, how much am i suposto torque it to? lol! i need to pick up my pace on progress! hahaha

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

damn! i also gotta find a simpler vacuum line diagram