NA exhaust piping

VA7MGE

Apr 21, 2007
Virgina Beach
question about changing exhaust piping on a cat back exhaust system.

for example:the MA70 Tanabe Hyper Medalion is suggested for a turbo, and has 80mm pipes. (info from suprasport)

can i change the piping to something smaller so it will not be loud or restrictive?
or should i jus get a 2.5" system instead of changing the piping.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Do you at any point in time want to go turbo (either 7m, 1j or 2j)? If yes then go with a 3" exhaust.

Do you want to use nitrous or custom fit a supercharger? If yes than go with a 3" exhaust.

Are you happy with the NA as it is? If yes go with a 2.5" exhaust.

VA7MGE

Apr 21, 2007
Virgina Beach
ok so theres no point in getting a 3" exhaust and trying to change out the piping? just wanted to know if its worth it or not.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Why would you buy a 3 inch exhaust then change the piping? It makes no sense.

If you read the threads, it appears that the 3 inch exhaust/2.5 inch exhausts give similar power gains (some say 3 inch still hurts low end more though. read the threads and decide), but usually the 3 inch is louder. My brother used to run a Tanabe Hyper (?) Medallion and it wasn't that loud. He had I/H/E. If you don't have headers, it should be quieter.

Another note...my 2.25 inch exhaust system used to be super loud, then I got a really good muffler and it's quiet now.

VA7MGE

Apr 21, 2007
Virgina Beach
i just finished reading the exhaust sticky, and my car is bone stock. planning just an intake for now. thanks for the help

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Buying a 3 inch ehxuast and switching the piping would be like buying a LS1 from a chevy and switching it with a 7m.

Why did you buy the LS1?

Get it?

Its pointless. Just stay stock for being NA. Exhausts wont yeild much of a gain anyways.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
s383mmber1 said:
Its pointless. Just stay stock for being NA. Exhausts wont yeild much of a gain anyways.

I thought my exhaust gave me a pretty decent gain from the stock exhaust.

I don't think there's anything wrong with going I/H/E (or I/E) in an N/A. The gains are decent and it's not that costly, just not anything "mind boggling".

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Ma70.Ent said:
I thought my exhaust gave me a pretty decent gain from the stock exhaust.

I don't think there's anything wrong with going I/H/E (or I/E) in an N/A. The gains are decent and it's not that costly, just not anything "mind boggling".

Depends on your shorterm, and especially longterm goals.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
s383mmber1 said:
Depends on your shorterm, and especially longterm goals.

Yeah, I guess. Either way, I/E doesn't really break the bank. I got my exhaust for 120 bucks and a filter isn't that expensive either. Most people tend to get custom 2.5 inch exhausts so they still aren't too expensive. If he goes 3 inch exhaust, then it's fine cause it'll help him if he goes turbo.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Or if you eventually get cams and some head work, but i still dont see the gains of 3''... especially the videos i've seen how loud it is, 2.5 is good, and it can still be used on a turbo.

moby03

Aug 13, 2006
Bronx, NY
i have a question....i need sum help wit settin up a good exhaust for my N/A. right now i have stock piping but wit no cat and no resonator wit a apex muffler and i sound like a civic......dats not good. im planning on doin 2 and a half inch piping but idk whether to put back da cat or to put back da resonator.....all im lookin for is a nice and deep sound nothin too quiet though.....any suggestions?????

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
moby03 said:
i have a question....i need sum help wit settin up a good exhaust for my N/A. right now i have stock piping but wit no cat and no resonator wit a apex muffler and i sound like a civic......dats not good. im planning on doin 2 and a half inch piping but idk whether to put back da cat or to put back da resonator.....all im lookin for is a nice and deep sound nothin too quiet though.....any suggestions?????

Translation: I have a question. I need some help with setting up a good exhaust for my N/A. Right now I have stock piping, but it doesn't have a catalytic converter and it doesn't have a resonator. It has an apexi muffler and it sounds like a Civic, and that's not good. I'm planning on going 2.5 inch piping but I don't know whether to put back the catalytic converter or to put back the resonator. All I'm looking for is a nice and deep sound, nothing too quiet though. Any suggestions?

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I got another 3" a while back and I saw gains compared to the stocker. It is not that loud too, but that is mainly because there is a resonator in there.

7M-fanatic

Banned
Apr 21, 2006
San Antonio, TX
I have a full 80mm, that when connected to the back of the cats
(Calif. Frigging twin cat equipped car) had a great sound.

When I removed the stock header & twin cats, and installed headers,
it got so damn loud that ear plugs were needed........
Mostly because the actual muffler was very small
(the core is only about 10" long).

So I have just made up a pre-silencer, 80mm bore, oval case, about the size of a normal cat.
If it is still too loud once I get the engine back in, I will dump the small race muffler for a larger unit.

I would shoot myself before I drove anything that sounded like a Hemroid, I mean honda.....

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
On a N/A if you want deep sound not a high pitched Honda sound you need a resonator a magnaflow muffler and the exhaust pipe diameter of 2.5. Get it welded up should run in the $200 range.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Yeah I currently have a magnaflow muffler and a 2.25 inch exhaust. I like how it sounds.

kntmikado

Rage Your Dream...
Apr 2, 2005
East Troy, WI 53120
Very interesting, my '91 is loud as hell and looking at exhaust work, but I think I mostly corroded/destroyed the baffles in the muffler.. ($30 muffler) ..at least, that's what the pinhole under the tailpipe surrounded by lots of black carbon says to me.

Either way, it's nice to finally see some good answers on how to get this exhaust sound or that one where the cars involved aren't turbo. Now, here's my thought. If you aren't completely sure of your future plans for the N/A but want a little flexibility, wouldn't it be feasible to get a 3" cat/muffler with 2.5" piping (nothing too costly, just something effective) and join the two with 2.5" -> 3" adapters? You'd have to attach things with U-bolts, but the piping itself would be welded together and welded to the adapters on each side. If you decide to step up to the larger piping later, you could just remove the 2.5" and adapters and put on the 3". Or is there something I'm not considering?