NA body with turbo engine cant get it to start

iaintslow

Banned
Oct 10, 2007
CA
we have a 1989 NA body with a 88 7m-GTE engine with 89 7m-gte auto harness and ecu. We jumped the 3 pin connector to make the strater work, but we have no start. The car cranks, we have spark, we hotwired the fuel pump, but it still will not start. The injectors have 12v on both wires and the circuit opening relay will not click(therefore the hotwired fuel pump). When cranking the intake will heat up and vacuum hoses sometimes pop out with smoke smelling like fuel. Does the circuit opening relay have anything to do with the ECU functionality, and does this sound like an ecu problem? We are about ready to give up. PLEASE HELP

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
You're using an '89+ harness and ECU on an '88? What color are the plugs on the engine wiring harness?

Supra-Kid315

Nov 5, 2007
Cambridge
I too have a 89 NA body but I have a 87 turbo engine in it and I'm getting the same thing you are. Cranking but no start. I have a 89 turbo auto harness and ecu to match it, I'm getting spark I have power to the injectors but all I get is cranking and no start. My guess would be is to check and see if you are getting any fuel into the cylinders, remove a spark plug and look inside and see if there's any fuel in there, also look for any leaks, you mentioned it smells like fuel, I have a faulty copper washer seal that I need 2 replace on the rail which is causing a leak and hopefully that will cure my problems and she will start.

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
I would double check your cps to make sure it is aligned properly. Otherwise the car will get full but wont start. When I rebuilt my motor and went to start it for the first time I was a tooth off and it would start worth a crap.
Good Luck

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Wow, I read that wrong. I thought you were using an '88 chassis. I gotta go to bed now, though.

iaintslow

Banned
Oct 10, 2007
CA
teedoff00;945323 said:
I would double check your cps to make sure it is aligned properly. Otherwise the car will get full but wont start. When I rebuilt my motor and went to start it for the first time I was a tooth off and it would start worth a crap.
Good Luck

what does the CPS control? fuel or spark, and should i turn the CPS slowly while cranking or should i allign to different spots and then try cranking??? Also there is white smoke smelling like fuel coming from the exhaust, would the CPS have something to do with that??

iaintslow

Banned
Oct 10, 2007
CA
YAYAYAYAY we got it working, it was the CPS, it was completely reversed. What you need to do is allign the CPS to the TDC for your timing by having the bottom portion of the CPS perfectly alligned and it FIRES RIGHT UP.