N/A non-lsd to LSD differential swap?

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Hey guys, title pretty much says it all. It looks like my differential might be toast and I found one that comes from a same year N/A auto (mines a 5 speed) and I'm wondering if it's just a straight drop in? Any tips on the procedure? The gearing ratio should be the same right? If I need any additional parts or anything it would be great if you could give me a heads up. Thanks guys!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
All na are 4.30 open unless you have a sport package which is 4.30 LSD. Seems wierd that a na would blow a diff unless loss of fluid.

All year diffs turbo na will bolt in. The auto/manual are all the same. Only difference is turbo na and year. 89+ had 3.73 for turbos.
Pre 89 turbo had 3.91.
And 1jz cars had 4.10 Torsen.

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Okay sweet thank you! And yeah, about that loss of fluid thing. It was leaking out of the passenger side axle seal and I checked it but it was fine. So I drove around for a year and got this horrible sound (sounds like a bad wheel bearing but its not) and I checked the fluid and it was a quart low. I topped it off but I think its too late now. Still drivable ATM.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There there. You can get them from Canada.

Cool design but they don't take the power and abuse too well.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
As hvyman said.

Oh, and ANY NA from Canada will have the limited slip. I guess they figured that we need the extra traction up here.

I had swapped in a 3.909 from an '87T into my NA before swapping in the engine and transmission. Several years before, in fact. The difference in gearing makes for the speedo/odometer being exactly 10% off, so if the speedo said 100, it meant 110. Just meant that I stuck the needle to the posted limits. No noticeable difference in power and accelleration. Fuel economy did get a bit better on the highway.

It's an option, anyway.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
3.727/3.909=0.95344

So if your speedo reads 100, you'd be doing a bit over 95.

I should point out though that you could ALSO get the appropriate speedo drive gear for the replacement pumpkin, since both sets of drive gears would be available for the R154 or A340e, however the drive gear for the 4.300 is only available for the A340e, and NOT for the R154, since it would only be found in the W58. Likewise the drive gears for the 3.909 or the 3.727 are not available for the W58, which is why I put up with the speedo being wrong until I swapped in the R154.

Last edited:

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Turbo Habanero;1831316 said:
How hard would it be to get ahold of a torsen 4.10 these days in the states?

I bought mine off a local guy (he actually posts here), and I've seen a few floating around here and there; just check the for sale section often..

supragobs

Dec 18, 2012
Spokane Washington
so i have a question as well does the diff just drop right now or what stuff do i need to move out of the way to bolt my new pumpkin up? i have an 86 supra came with open diff :( putting a turbo lsd in

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The NA Supras did come with LSDs. It was an option in the USA, but standard in Canada. This is you best bet if you can find one, since it will be the correct 4.300:1 ratio.

I swapped in a 3.909:1 from an '87T into my '89NA. It bolts right in, bolts up to the axles, no hassle making it fit. Just remember that your speedometer/odometer will be 10% out, so if your speedo says you're doing 60, you're doing 66. (It's exactly +10% for the 3.909:1) You can't switch the transmission speedo drive gear for a 5 speed, since the NA 5 speed is a W58, and the turbo would be an R154. You CAN switch the speedo gear if it's an auto, since both would be the A340E.

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
go to my profile or use the search bar, i created a thread exactly like this. check your vin and that will tell you if you have an lsd. if you have a sport tms button on your center console odds are you have an lsd and its just got worn shims

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I pulled one a couple of weeks ago from a junk yard, and they wanted $168 for it. Since I was just getting it to play around with it I didn't want to spend that much for it. I read the price sheet at the junk yard before pulling it and thought I was going to pay $58 for it. I put it back under the car I pulled it from and left. It was a 4.30:1 LSD out of an n/a.