My targa-friendly sub box

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I figured that I'd post in here, since NOBODY ever does.

I had begun to fiberglass a spare tire sub box, but decided against it at the last second. 1)- I want to carry a spare tire, and 2)- I was afraid that the sub would cause the rear deck to rattle if it was mounted below.
Anyway- this is it. It's roughly 5"x16"x18", in 1/2 MDF. I could have gone thicker, but I didn't feel the need. I only plan to run this at normal levels.
The sub itself, is a Pioneer TS-SW3001S4. More than enough for my future system. I just wanted a sub that I wouldn't have to move around if I took the targa off.
Ideal enclosure size is .5 to 1.0 cubic feet. I figured this one out to be roughly .6

Basic construction, sealed with construction adhesive/ sealant, and screwed together. Sub mounting holes have T-nuts imbedded on the inside.
p2028091_1.jpg

p2028091_2.jpg

Added cotton batting to reduce resonance/ rattle.
p2028091_3.jpg

Covered in carpet, rear terminal cup added.
p2028091_4.jpg

Added some bling.
p2028091_5.jpg

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Thank you for adding to the car audio lol very clean! You are right about not needing thicker I use 3/4" but I blast bass [emoji48], should sound real nice! Would be nice to see how it fits with the targa on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Thanks for looking, Drogon.
Yeah, It'll be awhile till I have the new rear carpet in place, plus I have to do a lot of wiring work in the hatch area,
so I don't think I'll get the chance to take any in-place pics for a while yet.

Aleo24

Aug 15, 2011
Perth
Same sub i have for my targe, i freaking love it!

Any pics of it mounted? and dimensions, i really need to revamp my setup as it was a rushed job.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Looks awesome! I did the same thing with my first supra by building my own 1 cuft box for my Sony Xplode 12" sub back in the late 90's. It worked great and fit under my Targa perfectly. Where did you buy the outer coating? When I did mine I never covered the MDF (although I did paint it black). I added Velcro to the bottom of the box so that it wouldn't slide around and ruin my targa (or anything else in my trunk).

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I wasn't sure what I wanted to put on the bottom. I was considering bonding a ribbed rubber mat to the underside, to eliminate sliding.
The cover is a dark grey 'sub box' carpet. Really cheap stuff, but it looks ok.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
The Velcro worked great on my box. It keeps it in place really well but seeing as you have carpet that's out of the question now I think. You might be able to adapt something though. Maybe you can put some low profile 'feet' on it and put some Velcro pads on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk