My supra (and first car) has been deemed a total loss, should I keep it for later?

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
I cant easily quote since I'm on my phone but thank you all for your advice! I just got the call and they only want 300 for the car, so I'd still get 3400 which is still great for this car if I were to sell it. I have a tough decision to make.

It does hold sentimental value but I'm not sure its healthy to be attached to physical items this way, and perhaps I should just part with it. I also am unsure if I could part the car out unless someone wants the tan interior or wheels.

I'll think on it more, 300 isn't a ton of money but every bit helps. :)

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
ok everyone, I think I've reached a decision that I am going to take $3400 and keep my car as a non-op. If I decide to I can sell it later and I believe I can get more than 300 if it comes to that. Do you guys think that's a sound decision?

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
If you are getting another one, undoubtedly you'll be able to pull $300 in parts off for yourself.

Hell, that's like 1 piece of glass...

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Well I should be calling today to confirm in keeping the car. Thanks everyone. :)

Nick M;2028112 said:
Silly kids...

....???

DeMoN2318;2028113 said:
Good plan. You can easily part it out for 300 if it comes to it

#04;2028123 said:
If you are getting another one, undoubtedly you'll be able to pull $300 in parts off for yourself.

Hell, that's like 1 piece of glass...

You're right, thank you. :)

Last edited:

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Figit090;2028244 said:
Well I should be baking today to confirm in keeping the car. Thanks everyone. :)

I read this as you are going to smoke a fat blunt to get baked and then decide if you are going to keep it or not...

:: lolsign ::

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
Ok, so just a quick story. I literally have been dealing with the same thing for the past week. Some old lady in a BMW suv rear ended me and did a little bit of damage nothing severe (definitely not as bad as I thought it was going to be). I was able to get the car back to my buddies shop and we inspected the car thoroughly (subframe, supports etc.). We were able to confirm that there was no further damage done to the car other than a dented quarter panel, spider vained bumper cover, and a dented taillight panel. When I made the claim with the lady's insurance they sent out an adjustor and deemed the car a "total loss" because the severely undervalued the car and had no actual quotes from any shops prior to doing this. I went back and forward with the adjustor and finally got tired of his crap and went to the body shop that I trusted to restore my car the first time and got a quote from them that proved that the car was fixable for a reasonable even with the low value they put on the car. Here in Alabama insurance companies must abide by the 75% rule. That is, the quoted value of the damage cannot exceed 75% of the appraised value of the vehicle otherwise it is considered a total loss. I even went so far as to get a second appraisal by another professional to prove the car was worth more than he said. The body damage quote I got was under that 75% maximum so the insurance adjuster can suck it.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
DeMoN2318;2028249 said:
I read this as you are going to smoke a fat blunt to get baked and then decide if you are going to keep it or not...

:: lolsign ::

Lol!! I didn't notice that autocorrect turned calling into baking! That's actually quite funny because I live in Humboldt County California. I don't smoke, but still funny