MY ROD!?! ==jjj=()~~

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
Well looks like its happend I thought a BHG would come first but no. Got the rod knock instead :3d_frown: I just did an JDM engine swap put about ~2k miles on it and this! What a fucking money pit. Well im lost for words. Any suggestions what may be the best way on going about this? Its an N/A repair the rod? Or you think the money ill spend on that just go turbo? Is it that much of a difference money wise? Or should I just sell the fucking car while im not too far behind?

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Well, I think you find yourself faced with the same question alot of us have asked numerous times. Why am I fixing this??? I spent 3k for it so the engine could crap out so I can spend 5k to rebuild it and make it the 6 million dollar car. Not gonna happen dude, stop inhalling the petro fumes.

Supra is a way of life. If the fires too hot, get out of the kitchen. Other than that dwy up your wittle tears and start turning some wrenches. Just like the rest of us. You can't sell it, because you have too much time and money vested into it. JDM engines, when are some of you going to learn????

There is a reason that particular engine is not slinging rubber from the rear of someone elses supra as we speak. For every 2 people I hear say something good about there jdm engine. There are 4 others complaining about them.

Fix it man. Fix it better than you would have ever hoped to then when it blows up again. Atleast you know you did everything you could to fix it.

Personally when I get done with my mkIII..., if it gives me any more guff, I'll park it in the barn and leave the title in the glove incase someone ever takes an interest in it, such as a gear oriented grand child or some shit.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
If the rod knock isn't too severve yet...you MAY be able to just replace the bearings...or at VERY least, the knocking one.

But yea, supramacist is right...if you can't handle the Supra, then you should probably sell it...

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
well reason I got this motor was thinking it would be the ceapest route. I guess I thought wrong on this issue. Doing the swap was a pain in the ass IMO. Im not going to get rid of the car unless I NEED too but I do want to go turbo. I guess im at a point at "If im going to spend the money what should I do" point Im just really getting upset pouring money into this car, I know most of you already know and prob sayin "This kid has no idea" well I will soon! But just like you guys im in love with the car and dont want to give it up!

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Alright man, I can definitley respect your plight a bit more, sinse you put it that way. In my opinion for you and there is a reason it is free. Would be 7mgte. It's going to be the most simple to insert and there are plenty of oem parts for that engine...., basically everywhere you look. 2jz is going to cost out the yang and have it's own unique headaches but the 7m series engine is easy enough to work on for the shade tree mechanic. You got burnt on the jdm so now you know what not to do. Good luck and happy hunting.

kntmikado

Rage Your Dream...
Apr 2, 2005
East Troy, WI 53120
Fastest way to turbo an N/A: N/A->T conversion
Best way to turbo an N/A: GTE Swap

Note: Comparison is done in terms of general reliability and makes no mention of performance potential.

If the car's not your DD, then probably the best thing to do is leave the car alone 'til you can afford to do the swap, and then proceed from start to finish all in one go. While you save your money, do all the research you can and more. Research GTEs. Research GTE swaps. Research GTE maintenance and problems. Research GTE upgrades, since you're lying to yourself if you think you'll be happy with stock. Believe me, I've never seen anyone happy with stock for too long.

Anyway, all this research will come in plenty of handy helping you choose the right parts for your swap when it's time to do it. It'll also give you the opportunity to consider swapping your auto for a manual (unless straight-line racing is your thing) while the drivetrain is dismantled. It's an extra cost and definitely more work, but if you want to swap transmissions there's really no better time than while the engine's out anyway.

However...
If the supra IS your DD, then you should really look into just getting the engine rebuilt 110% as quickly as feasibly possible so that you don't have to spend MORE money on it while you save for the aforementioned swap.

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
No its not my my DD anymore. Also im planning on doing a Auto to 5speed. As of now Im doing thre research and seeing about how much this is going to cost me. Of course i wont be happy with it stock. I guess while i do the swap i should do little things that is needed for big HP gains.

EDIT: Anyone need a Auto tranny thats in texas? I have a spare one when i bought my JDM engine.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I researched everything for my na for the larger part of a year waiting to get the cheese to do it all in one fail swoop. The assembly that is. So very valid points.

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
blackgraz said:
Well looks like its happend I thought a BHG would come first but no. Got the rod knock instead :3d_frown: I just did an JDM engine swap put about ~2k miles on it and this! What a fucking money pit. Well im lost for words. Any suggestions what may be the best way on going about this? Its an N/A repair the rod? Or you think the money ill spend on that just go turbo? Is it that much of a difference money wise? Or should I just sell the fucking car while im not too far behind?

Hey, aint that funny. I did the Exact Same thing you did. Just put in a JDM 7MGE and it already has a rod knock after about 500 miles. I'm about 7K invested in to this piece of sh*t already... I hope to god it's a rod bearing and I can fix it soon! That goes for both of us.
If I could do it over I would have rather bought a project Supra with a 1JZ or 2JZ, running or not. Cuz in the end, after all that is invested, I'm Still driving a powerless car for the price of a powerful car.:3d_frown:
I am yet to experince what a healthy 7MGE even sounds or feels like, let alone a big powered 7M. Damn

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
If you haven't driven one that was healthy......, how can you call them slow.
It sounds like you just didn't know what you were getting into and lack the follow through.

Supra 1 and you none.

Supras are a lifestyle fellas'. Been saying it sinse I blew my head gasket. Just keep thinking how sick it will be when you vest yet another 3k into it.

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
agreed its a hobby lifestyle its alot better then what so-called hobby/lifestyle ive had in the past injecting drugs into my arms. :3d_frown:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Brandon, I sure hated being the bearer of such bad news, but like I said, the knock is not that bad...yet. You can still get a lot of babied miles out of it. Keep the car, it's a targa for one, the interior is still descent, and you've already spent so much time replacing fenders, sanding etc... You're ready to paint! BTW, nothing wrong with buying a JDM GTE, just rebuild it first.

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
supramacist said:
If you haven't driven one that was healthy......, how can you call them slow.
It sounds like you just didn't know what you were getting into and lack the follow through.

Supra 1 and you none.

Supras are a lifestyle fellas'. Been saying it sinse I blew my head gasket. Just keep thinking how sick it will be when you vest yet another 3k into it.

Not sure what you mean by calling it slow... It is slow... Until a car runs atleast a 13sec 1/4 mile and has a perf. LSD in it, it's poop. I now call my Supra the Poopra... But it's still the best commuter car for me:) I can drop the clutch mid-turn and iniate a little power over drift still, and It's sexy IMO. Dont Hate