My new Supra; the second one! What do you think?

Supraman

Mar 30, 2005
Sunnyvale
Hi all. I'm on my way to owning a series of these great cars as many of you already have; first, my 1992 non-turbo, and now, a pretty well-stocked 1988 Turbo. The link to the auction I won is below; let me know what you think about the car, and the price paid for it. 56K-user warning on the auction below, but you could probably read the info about the car as the photos load.

eBay Motors -- 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo

It seems to have practically everything, even though $6500 is pretty steep as far as Supras are concerned.

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
wow man, that thing is beautiful. awesome rims! and the motor sounds solid at that. i would have paid 6500 for it as well.

welcome to boost territory

Supraman

Mar 30, 2005
Sunnyvale
Boosting! Speaking of that, yeah, I missed it tremendously after test driving a few Turbos before buying my 1992. Ever since then, I've been looking to trade up, and I thought this was a pretty nice car for a decent price...just looking to get everyone's opinion :)

Supraman

Mar 30, 2005
Sunnyvale
I paid $4,200 for my 1992, which is in darned near immaculate condition. In fact, I'm now trying to sell it, and posted the following on Supraforums:

"Today I purchased an upgraded 1988 Turbo, and am now going about selling my old Supra, a 1992 N/A. I have some time to sell it, and am wondering what a good starting price would be. It's in great condition inside and out. It has the "shadow grey" (AKA black) leather interior, sliding sunroof, K&N FIPK, cat-back exhaust, and Tokico gas shocks + Eibach springs on all four corners. The head gasket was replaced about 3,500 miles ago, and many parts were replaced during that service (water pump, spark plugs, all belts, fuel filter, et cetera ad nausium). The car has almost 95,000 miles on it. A frontal photo of the car:

SupraSignature.jpg

Notwithstanding the fact if anyone here wants to buy the car, where should I start my pricing? I have a couple months or so to sell it. Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Forgot to mention: it's an automatic, and as is everything else in the car, it operates flawlessly. Also, as most of you know, 1992 was the final and lowest production year of the MKIII. This car was one of the later in production of 1992 (of a claimed 1,193 cars total), with a VIN ending in 161827."

Any advice about the other post, selling my 1992, is appreciated alongside opinions of my new 1988! Thanks again

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
About your 92'. Probably get what you paid for maybe less. Reasons being, it's non-targa, auto, and non-turbo. If this was the other way around... 10k easy.

I would be willing to bet that you could part out just the interior and body for 4k or more.

Some of us will practically kill puppies for your interior.

Supraman

Mar 30, 2005
Sunnyvale
Yeah...honestly, it's a tragic loss going from the beautiful black leather on my current car to the beige/brown fabric of the '88. I simply love my current car inside an out, but once you get to that engine bay or underbody...you see the performance issues :-D I'd like nothing more than my exact 1992 with a nice drivetrain, but given I'm starting from an auto non-turbo, I simply can't fund such a massive endevor.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Yeah, I understand that even though it's a great car, it's not something a true Supra enthusiast would want (for anything other than an engine and tranny swap, in which case they'd want it even cheaper than plain market value). I'll try and get what I can out of it; maybe price it a bit over $4K, see what happens, and lower it as needed.

Zerocool, has Ryan been trying to sell his car for a while now? I'm just curious if you could tell me more of his story, and how you know him etc. He seems like a really great guy. He's majoring in Electrical Engineering, an uncanny matchup to my EECS (Electrical Engineering + Computer Science)

Thanks again everyone, and any more opinions are still appreciated!

Last edited:

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
If I were you. I would seriously consider swapping the entire interior of the 92' over to your newly aquired 88'. I will bring up the value of your 88', look kick ass with the gray exterior and you won't get what you want for the 92' anyway. Not from any other Mkiii owner that is.

EDIT!: Even more of a consideration! Swap EVERYTHING from the 88' to the 92'!!!!!!

Yet another edit: I'm majoring in EE/CS too! Starting this fall! I have plans of making 200k in six months come the future :D

Last edited:

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
I know Ryan because we both are affiliated with Azsupra's, I don't really know him personally but only through email's and the local meets.

He hasn't been trying to sell the car that long he said that he had it up on ebay and I thought it wouldn't sell for the price he was asking for it.

Its a nice car hes done lots of work to it in the past 2 1/2 years but I think he just got tired of owning a supra and wanted to move on like most guys do.

Supraman said:
Zerocool, has Ryan been trying to sell his car for a while now? I'm just curious if you could tell me more of his story, and how you know him etc. He seems like a really great guy. He's majoring in Electrical Engineering, an uncanny matchup to my EECS (Electrical Engineering + Computer Science)

Supraman

Mar 30, 2005
Sunnyvale
Hahaha, awesome CtSupra; where are you attending school? I'm transferring to UC Berkeley this fall.

After your comment about the interior, I did have the thought to swap the interior over...although it seems like it would be nearly impossible to get every single part out of each car, and into the other. And, I should have seen it with my other comment, but putting the entire drivetrain of the 1988 in the 1992 would create MY definition of a pretty awesome Supra. However, that too seems virtually impossible, particularly given I'm just starting my journey towards mechanical competency. I have two months tops, and don't have any gearhead friends on-hand to help, so unfortunately the seemingly fantastic idea of a drivetrain swap is pretty much dead...

However...the interiors...anyone here have experience with that? Maybe it's not as hard as I envision it...and to be certain, it would be awesome to have a grey MKIII with the shadow grey interior (although I'll get the '88 painted eventually, I might stick with that color). Any enlightenment here would be of much help! Thanks again

ippyness

562uned
Jun 1, 2005
Arizona
Ryans car is beautiful. i was at one time going to buy it.. and i have been over there a few times when he was working on it. ryans a great guy and put TONS of time and money in that car.. its well worth teh 6500 :) hope you enjoy the car

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
If it was me, I'd be swapping the Turbo parts over to the 92, along with the wheels, 5-speed, etc.

5-Speed 92 Turbo Teal Supra with shadow grey interior

or a grey 88 Turbo with brown interior...

But it's up to you. Good luck with both cars!