My new SUPRA!!!!! Sort of....

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
I've been getting a little pissed off with my Supra lately (follow my build and you'll see why!), so I went back to my other hobby, which is model car building. I picked up the MPC Toyota Supra MKII kit from fleaBay and just completed it. Here's the pix....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The kit is a royal pain to work with compared to Japanese kits, but at least it isn't "curbside" (i.e. - it has an engine). I had to scratchbuild a rear spoiler since the kit didn't come with one, but it had the sunvisor and louvers, so it was a pretty good tradeoff. I dechromed the wheels and painted them with a combination of aluminum and silver chrome paint (not as bright), then scuffed them and the tires for a more realistic look. The pix didn't come out as nice as I hoped due to the high gloss of the black, so it really does look better in person, and I'll snap a few of the engine bay at a later time.

NOTE TO SELF: two-toning to a specific line on the body of a car is a pain in the ass.....

Last edited:

Mr.Forks

AnotherFoolJoe
Jun 8, 2009
nyc
www.hoonperformance.com
hey, do they make a mkiii supra model?
i had a monte carlo model when i had my monte, and i had a ford bronco model when i had my bronco- i wouldnt mind having a nice mkiii supra laying around

Last edited:

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Yup. Fujimi/Testors has one (no engine), Tamiya has a couple, and Ari has one, but most of those don't have an engine, and I like displaying mine. A lot of them are on fleaBay and can cost up to $50 to get one, even from Japan.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Good eye! The kit came with added panels to make it a widebody along with the front lip and siderails, but I didn't use those in favor of the original body style. It also came with the rear window louver as well as the side glass ones, but I wanted the sunvisor instead of that so I could look inside the back window. I kept the side rear louvers though, they looked pretty cool with the sunvisor.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
Fujimi did make a 3rd gen with an engine as well as a 2nd gen supra, Cresta, And soarer. Theyre all called high mech kits, I own one of each. Extremely rare. And ive had them for years. However they still use the same shell as the curb-sides, So youre required to cut the hood off and the fit and finish of them take alot of work, Most of them come with wide body kits and very deep offset wheels, As well as goodies for the engines, The 1g-ge in the cresta gets an HKS twin turbo setup, The 6m in the 2nd gen supra kit gets ITB's and an equal length header, The soarer and supra both have a 7m and remain stock tho.

Tamiya actually makes like 3-4 different versions of the 3rd gen, Two of them are race cars, One is a pace car and the other is just stock. They also make a 2nd gen pace car.

Not bad on the MPC kit tho!

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Yup, I've been keeping an eye out for those high mech kits, but nothing has popped up on fleaBay lately. I did open up the hood and targa on my Testors kit, and with the Soarer kit I'll be fashioning up an engine bay for my "transplanted" 7M. I have that project on hold though to finish up my Tamiya MKIV kit.

Question: which body style does the high mech come in... '86-'88 or '89-up?

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
Pre 89, The only one i know of thats post 89 is the tamiya fujitsu ten race car.

I havnt seen any of those kits since i got mine. My 3rd gen is already done, Mostly. Its targa is opened also and its got a couple of small mods.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
The engine in the upper left is for the Nissan Skyline C110 "Ken and Mary", and the one on the right is indeed a 7M-GTE, taken from a Toyota Soarer kit and "hopefully" transplanted into my MKIII one!

Wow. Engine swaps are just as hard at 1:24 as they are 1:1 !!!!

EDIT: The first pic in the post above shows the C110 "on the rack" after being given her final coat of racing blue.

She's gonna be badass.....

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Well I finally got around to working on this tkt which is the Tamiya #24062 Toyota Supra Turbo - MKIII. I wanted this to be extra detailed since I obviously own one. The first attempt at an MKIII build was the Testors/Fujimi kit, do I bought that and got to work. I later found out after I had received it in the mail it was a curbside model, so I was miffed it didn't have an engine. So after some research I ended up buying a Toyota Soarer kit with the 7M-GTE motor and set about crafting up an engine bay for it.

Let's just say I didn't have enough skill to make it work.....

So, after catastrophic failure with that kit (as I was mounting the body to the chassis the body snapped in several pieces in my hands with VERY little effort!!!), I decided to get a Tamiya kit instead. I knew it was curbside as well, but I didn't care at this point. I wanted an MKIII on display and I didn't care HOW it came so long as it looked good! Here's the build as it stands now, no rear glass in yet but pretty well detailed so far.

The kit:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The headlights actually go up and down!!!

I actually used felt for interior carpeting and upholstery (a first!!!), and the burgundy interior is actually a cross between Maroon spray paint and Tamiya Hull Red brush paint. Some of the other details are: smoked tails, smoked running lights, and proper badging from both this kit and the Testors one. The decals in the kit come with badges for Japanese and American versions of the car, but my actual car had a "turbo" badge on the back that the decals lacked. I double checked the Japanese "3.0 turbo" badge that would've replaced the "Toyota" badge on the front, and found it to be the correct size I needed, so I clipped the "3.0" off the decal very carefully. Here are the results so far...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The completed model with a 7M-GTE on an engine stand.....

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg