My MKIII Caught on FIRE!!!

7MGFY

Boost Fiend
Sep 14, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
I finally set the timing tonight and went for a very joyous resurrection ride tonight and I noticed I was getting smoke behind me A pretty big cloud that trailed behind me and I chalked it up to running a tad rich I stopped to turn around and noticed it was coming from under the hood uh oh I saw a flame flickering right next to the egr return line and it was smoking ;( BAD. i took her home and I parked her shut her off and there was a huge cloud of smoke and the turbo and exhaust manifold were glowing red hot.... WTF s it normal for the turbo and manifold to glow also does anyone know how I can shield the rest of the engine bay from the excess heat generated by the exhaust? I have a 3" bic ddp and no stock heat shielding.....

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
cheack it again and make sure you are going off the stock mark and not chip or drit or other

that or your exhuast is like dented in badly but the car whould be slow and much quiter

that is timming issue by the sounds of it

7MGFY;1146649 said:
no cat I set timing with a light per tsrm

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Pull #1 plug slide a wooden chopstick in and turn the crank with a wrench, watch the chopstick rise, when it hesitates before going back down look at the timing mark and see where it's pointing.

Sometimes the bonded rubber in the damper fails and lets the outer ring slip giving an inaccurate TDC.

7MGFY

Boost Fiend
Sep 14, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
IJ.;1146700 said:
Pull #1 plug slide a wooden chopstick in and turn the crank with a wrench, watch the chopstick rise, when it hesitates before going back down look at the timing mark and see where it's pointing.

Sometimes the bonded rubber in the damper fails and lets the outer ring slip giving an inaccurate TDC.

LOL A CHOPSTICK nice..... it works I know but the fact that you said chopstick is pretty LOL.