My lexus afm/550's problem thread: Over boosting as well

MacDaddy_J_420

I heart SM
Sep 5, 2007
Dalton, GA
Well with the car running good and the only issue being the boost creep issue I would like some imput on how to rid the car of this. Again I have a 57trim ct-26 and a recirculated ddp with 3" the rest of the way back.

Over the past few months I have been reading and trying to figure out how to get my car running good on the lex afm/550 combo. I think I have finally got most of the fine tuning figured out. The car no longer stalls, pulls hard, and drivibility is good. If anyone has questions on this I will do my best to help with the information I have learned form my experince.

As of right now my settings are as follows:

lex afm screw: I backed it all the way out and went 2 full turns in.
base fuel pressure: 41 psi (this is when the car is started cold and no vac line attached)

Also before I get flammed here are two good links for anyone looking for basic info on the lex afm/550 mod:
http://rob.carlile.home.mchsi.com/lexus/lexus1.htm
http://suprasonic.org/lexusriemer/lexusnotes.html

l_de3fedee1acf4336b9e823c3234b1ac3.jpg

First let me list the mods I currently have on the car:
57 trim ct-26
precision 550cc injectors
lexus afm housing
aeromotive afpr
bypassed j-tube
k&n fipk
3" divorced downpipe recirculated from 935 and straight pipe the rest of the way back
2.5in hard pipes
spearco replica intercooler from drift motion
apexi safc 2 w/boom slang pnp harness
aem UEGO wideband
hks evc boost controller
walbro fuel pump

future modifications:
Converting the car to a MAP system (hks vpc, maft-pro, or map ecu 2).
Give the motor a good rebuild (cometic hg, arp studs, and all new gaskets and seals).

Now my problems:

Problem 1.) Over boosting issue:

UPDATED 4/18: Now that I have installed the divorced down pipe the boost creeping issue has gotten worse. Now the turbo will easily creep up to 14-15 psi and I will let off there. The boost controller is set at 10psi and the boost will hold there for some time, but around 4000 rpm it will start creeping. I have thought about just setting the boost controller and seeing what that does. Since the creep issue is coming from the waste gate on the ct26 being not efficient as needed maybe I can get the boost set to where the waste gate will do what it needs to.

UPDATED 5/3: Well I hit 17psi the other day while test driving, afr's were still safe, but I needed to get this figured out. Tested the actuator and everything seemed to function properly. The waste gate flapper moved freely. Here in the next week or so I am going to take the turbo off and try to enlarge the waste gate port on the turbo slightly and maybe even try and port the down pipe as well. I have my fingers crossed that this will fix the issue with over boosting.

UPDATED 7/13: Alright I have been enjoying the car for the past month, but I am still having my boost issue. I had the ddp recirculated and it helped some, the car now only creeps to 15-16psi. I am kind of torn between putting on a more resterictive exhaust or porting the wastegate on the turbo. Any imput on the similar situations would be apprecaited

Problem 2.) FIXED: Every time I start the car when it is cold the afr's are steady around 14.8-15.0 when the car gets warmed up they will start jumping around all across the board and if the computer is trying to correct. I know that until the car is warm the computer will correct with the TCCS.

UPDATE 4/18: Alright just as every one has been telling me I had to check my vf voltage so I did. This was very simple in the diagnostic port just put the positive end of a volt meter in the vf1 pin and ground the other where you like. I noticed that sometimes the car would show 2.35v, which means no correction. Other times it would start running rough and go straight to 5v, which means the TCCS is seeing a lean condition and trying to correct by making things richer. I raised the fuel pressure and went in on the afm screw a little, but nothing seems to help. I have heard that and the lex/550 mod idle is always going to be lean.

UPDATE 5/3: I went to checking the signals on the o2 sensor and afm. Turns out that when the car starts to stumble the afm signal drops out entirely. Going to replace the afm and go from there.

UPDATE 5/7: You know it pays to be a supra owner because like most of us you always have a good supply of back up parts just lying around that you can't make yourself get rid of. Well I went through my pile and had a used but good afm. Got it on the car, cleared the codes and adaptations, fired it up and it ran like a champ. This weekend I am going to check my vf voltage and hopefully get the idle tuned out some.

Problem 3.) FIXED: Problem with going lean under boost.

UPDATE 4/18:Alright after I got the walbro installed and replaced my fuel filter this cleared up this issue, I set my base fuel pressure w/o vac to 41 psi, which was around 40 with vac on, and I backed the afm screw all the way out and went one turn in. I drove the car so that the TCCS could make the corrections and now when I boost the afr's look good. They are in the 11's.

A few things I need to note:
1. I have not yet started messing with the safc because I have read that the stock ecu should control the basics of the mod and only to use the safc to fine tune.

I am open to suggestions that anyone may have and would like to know what base fuel pressure people are running with the lexafm/550's set-up and what the afm screw is set at.

UPDATES That are not related with the problems above:

UPDATE 5/3: Aright did a compression test today and all the numbers looked good and steady. Checked the torque on the headgasket bolts and all were right at 75ft lbs. I called the about dyno time and getting the car tuned the other day and hopefully after I get the few issues fixed that I am having with the car I will be getting the car tuned at around 14psi or so and finally getting to enjoy it.

UPDATE 5/17: Well with the car running a lot better I have been driving it some and trying to iron out all the small things. My vf at idle has always been reading 5v which means the car is doing a 20%+ fuel correction to richen up the mixture. I was doing some research and think I have found my problem, someone who has had the car before me has adjusted the throttle stop screw on the throttle body. This screw is suppose to be set by toyota from factory and not messed ever again. With this screw not being set correctly the tps reading is being thrown off, timing incorrect, and is causing many other small issues. I have a different throttle body on the way which is suppose to have the factory setting of the throttle stop screw, once I get it on, tps set, and timing set I will give an update on how the car runs. Oh, and the turbo is still needing to get pulled, but I am enjoying the car a little before it gets pulled apart again.

UPDATE 5/30: Alright finally got the throttle body in the mail (well 2nd throttle body, the first was missing the throttle stop screw completely). Checked the tps before I got it on the car and it was set perfect. Bolted everything up, cleared the codes, and fired up the car. Code 51 is gone, finally. I jumped TE1 and E1 and the base timing was set to 15 degrees. I set the timing to 10 degrees and went for a drive. Car drove great, no more stalling issues, but still has a small over boosting issue. Sometime in the next week or so I am taking the car to my tuner and seeing what he can accomplish with the car the way it is. I will hopefully be able to raise the boost high enough to where it doesn't over boost anymore. Oh, and a little side not the ddp has gotten old so I am going to the exhaust shop to see if the can recirculate it.

UPDATE 9/16: Got the car on the

Thanks
James

Last edited:

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
I'd change out the fuel pump, and do the fpd removal as well. You never mentioned the j-tube, is it eliminated or drilled out? With a new fp and no restrictions to fuel path and return, perhaps fuel delivery will be more regulated. I have basically the same mods, and see leaner closed loop. It's hard to ascertain all the variables it seems, even with mostly the same hardware. As far as the afm screw goes, if you have drilled out the plug and you close the screw all the way, no extra unmetered air will enter. Afaik, if you open it all the way, you will let in more unmetered air, hence going marginally leaner. gl.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
29 psi FP with vac on is about right for FP. The 38-40 psi (assuming vac on) posted above is way too much FP. You could bump the FP to 30-32 psi and see if that helps...the J tube does need to be drilled out or eliminated.

An upgraded CT26 can easily make 12 psi boost.

MacDaddy_J_420

I heart SM
Sep 5, 2007
Dalton, GA
I forgot to mention that, the j-tube is bypassed already. I added that to the mod list. I was also beginning to think that the fuel pump could possible just be worn out. Could it possible that, when boosting, I get to the certain rpm where the ecu sends 12volts to the fuel pump and the pump just won't flow anymore thus causing my lean condition. I will change out the fuel pump in a few days and let everyone know how that goes.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
1. Every time I start the car when it is cold the afr's are steady around 14.8-15.0 when the car gets warmed up they will start jumping around all across the board and if the computer is trying to correct. I know that until the car is warm the computer will not attempt to alter the map.
what shape is your stock oxygen sensor in?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
jdub;1257666 said:
The 38-40 psi (assuming vac on) posted above is way too much FP. .

always seemed to work well for me. It was perfect for tuning purposes, any lower or higher caused tuning issues

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
IwantMKIII;1257810 said:
always seemed to work well for me. It was perfect for tuning purposes, any lower or higher caused tuning issues

That's due to a tuning competence problem ;)

If you are using 550 injectors, the increased flow from those injectors is more than sufficient to compensate for the increased airflow through a Lex AFM at the stock FP (vac on) range. If anything, you will run rich requiring a decrease in FP and/or further adjustment with a SAFC.

I don't know what you did, but that kind of FP is not required...I run 27 psi (vac on) with the Lex/550 combo.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
^^ my own setup shows this fine line with fuel pressure and the safc.

to much fuel and i cant pull enough out to stay within the 15-20% saftey range on the safc and to little and im adding at idle (on the safc) to please vf's.

40psi vac off would be about 32 psi with vac on, thats a LOT of fuel, what corrections do you have on the safc?

MacDaddy_J_420

I heart SM
Sep 5, 2007
Dalton, GA
IwantMKIII - No check engine light, but I will jump the pins and still check to see if any codes are there and not showing up.

jdub - I will try to bump up the fp a little bit, also what would suggest on me doing with the afm screw? All in, out, midways?

adampecush - As far as I know the stock o2 sensor is in good working condition, but I will test it here soon to be on the safe side.

sneakypete - No I didn't calibrate the wb because I didnt know this was necessary before I did all the upgrades it seemed to be reading correct. Do you have a good link on how to do the calibration.

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
You will need to know what your Vf signal is doing.
You can hook up a voltmeter and check it that way. Do a search on here to find out what the Vf signal is and what it's for. (Here's a link to a page on my own website where the article i meant is posted. I copied it from somewhere, tried to find the source for you but couldn't so there you go.)

And at first a boost leak comes to mind. Completely unburnt gasses are not measured by your stock (or wideband for that matter) O2 sensor and it can therefore indicate a lean situation while you are actually running rich. Also did you swap out your AFM for a spare yet?

Btw Did I understand correct when I say you wrote that 12.2 a/f is a bit lean for you at cruise? (so before boosting?) everything closer to 10 is running rich, everything closer to 21 is running lean ;) (Not to be an ass but just to make sure I understand you)

MacDaddy_J_420

I heart SM
Sep 5, 2007
Dalton, GA
thevork - Thanks for the link I was just thinking about checking the vf yesterday. I have already "smoked" the intake system for vacuum leaks and didnt find anything major, but fixed what I found. As for what I was saying about my afr's at cruise and boost. At cruise they are around 14.5-15.5, but under boost the just to 12.2-12.5 (which is ok, but I would still like to be around 11.5, and I thought with the lexafm/550's it should be more closer the 10.5.). Then around 3200-3500rpms the afr's start to go lean getting into 13.5 or so.

Sorry for the confusion, I read what I typed and didnt understand it much myself.

Thanks for the comment on the ct26 as well, gives me piece of mind.

SupraDupra500

Apr 29, 2005
Terre Haute, Indiana
I'll have to say its likely your fuel pump. I would DEFFINATELY upgrade to a walbro pump if you haven't already. Forgive me if you said you had and I missed it. I had a similar problem with my car a when i first upgraded my injectors a few years ago, walbro fuel pump and 'hot wire' corrected the issue. But then again @ 12psi i dont think its really going beyond the limits of the stock pump. Getting very close though. If i recall correctly, Ive personally seen a couple of people run that much boost on a strong stock pump before with good a/f ratios but fuel pressure dropped slightly at top end.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
How what? I guess u mean the part about the VF signal being read by the SAFC correct? Well there is blue wire on the wire harness for the SAFC that is not used for cars and it is for something else along the line of MAF I believe.... i cant remember but anyways u tap the VF signal and tap/slice/sod the two wires together and it will read the volts on the display :).

It is comes in handy..... You can a get to see what the volts are doing when you idle, partial throttle, cruice, and WOT.

MacDaddy_J_420

I heart SM
Sep 5, 2007
Dalton, GA
Ok the exhaust shop has got the down pipe and they are going to mess with mounting the intercooler, so until they get finished with the car I won't be able to test much until then.

bountykilla0118 - Hey man how have you been? Got you another car yet? Yeah all the settings are at zero, and no it is not wired up to read the vf anymore. When I got the new wiring harness, I just bought a boomslang harness. That was a good idea though, and I didn't know you had it wired up like that.

SupraDupra500 - That is what I am hoping for, I was going to check the flow, but when I get the pump dropped I am going to just change out the pump and replace the fuel filter while I am at it.

I will keep everyone updated, and when I get the chance get a picture of the car.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
vf readings work and work like a charm on the safc. Very helpful in tunning idle and making sure nothing is maxed out one way or the other on the low end