my Knock Sensor Situation(Pics)

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
so i have the 52 code. so checked out where the knock sensors would be and i found one in good condition and the other...laying there....
sm_photo_missing.jpg

so i figure that was once in here...?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

where do i got from here? buy a new knock sensor and replace it from the wire and from the block and then screw that back in? where can i get a knock sensor?

also, i found this threaded hole next to the first knock sensor(under the "2").
what is this.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

thanx for any help

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Autozone- New knock sensor- $186.00

Junkyard - free

Very easy to swap out, youll need a large socket.

Says that knock sensors are suppsed to have a grease of some kind on the threads when new. I installed mine without the grease and it works fine.

C

cnewingham

I have a knock sensor for sale right now. $25 shipped

silverkill

SILVERKILL
Aug 10, 2005
FL
I work for toyota and i got the price on it today. It $186 ur cost my cost $122. I had the same problem. I had one break on me the same way then as i was removing that one I broke the other one. Luckly i have 2 good spare ones.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Technically on the 7m the loss of a knock sensor will only cost you most of your horsepower. It will never blow the motor. The ECU compensates by backing the timing down a ridiculous amount.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
sm_photo_missing.jpg

i took out the old half of a knock sensor out today and put the new whole one in. MIL light is out:icon_bigg after three years and the car runs better, not exactly as much better as i expected, but better..im gonna check my timing in school. ten degrees BTDC is what i want right? i still gotta replace my broken BPV and some old hoses and then i'll see where i stand.
man, do i hate automatic. if i drive going from Low and then to second through that automatic way, it feels like a totally different car. ugh

supratj

god tina, eat some ham...
Nov 4, 2005
lees summit, mo
ok now i have a question, my knock sensor code came up on mine after i rebiult the motor, and looking at these pics on this thread, the knock sensor looked like it was directly behind the starter, and my starter was hitting my plug for the sensor, so i thought it might be the other whole so i switched it, it runs smoother now, but you guys said that one was for the ge right? so what the hell is going on???? lol

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
i just know theres gotta be two KS in there. one up in front and one in the back...on the side of the block...i dont know about using that empty hole because it is where the one knock sensor the the ge would go, but i dont think you can put the second one for the gte in the ge spot...but then again i could be wrong.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
There are two in two locations because the TCCS moniters the front of the engine seperate from the rear and can make chages to fuel trim, timing, etc... to the front three seperate from the rear.
Whether or not it does, the professor could tell you, but I know it could, and it would make sense if it did. Point being, signal from KS#2 should be taken from the back of the block, not right next to KS#1.

mkiii88supra

Jan 15, 2006
PA
does anyone have pictures of where they go. and also does it matter which one goes in the front or the back because i noticed they are different colors.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I don't see how the ecu could split the cylinders into two pairs of three each because both injection and spark is controlled as three pairs of two each. Now whether the ecu is actually capable of separating those pairs I don't know. Damn it, I hate mysteries. Now it's gonna bug me ;)

*edit* I see what you're saying. I neglected to consider which cylinders are companions ie; 1/6, 5/2, 3/4. Based on that it seems difficult to break the engine into a definite front and back though. I know how the sensors are treated separately in the monitoring/diagnostic sense and what action is taken when knock is detected or if either sensor faults but I can't say if cylinder pairs are broken down. On one hand it seems unlikey but considering what I know about the ecu's sophistication in doing other things nothing would surprise me.

I'll have to research it but my TCCS books don't mention anything like that and they're pretty comprehensive. That doesn't mean squat of course so it remains an interesting theory. There must be a reason for having two KS instead of one though and why they're mounted where they are.

Last edited: