My instrument cluster died...

Jyrydr

I Wanna Go Fast
May 26, 2012
Western Australia
The Instrument cluster in my 1989 7M-GTE has died.

Its a digital cluster, only the speedo(&trip meter), clock, warning lights(the ones that are on before start) and the orange lights around the tems indicator work.
So, no Taco, Temp, boost, tems, oil or fuel guges

Between it working and not working, I stripped the interior, except the dash, s/w and cluster(stereo etc did come out), changed the turbo(and obvoiusly took out everything connected/related) and brakes, took shocks and diff out out. All the exterior panels in front of the doors have been off as well.
Everythings back in or replaced, except roof liner,

I have checked all fuses, power from ecu, checked wires a hundred times, is it possible I have left something unplugged, or something im just not thinking of, or have I fried my cluster?

any help appreciated

P.S. if this in the wrong area please relocate, I really need help.

Last edited:

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Sounds like you left a plug loose or may something broke. I'm not experienced on those dash clusters since we don't get them here in the US. I do have a spare one I got a long time ago to do a conversion, but never went through with it. I've never seen it work, so I could sell it for parts. Let me know if you need it. I would really check all connectors and signals before getting a new one though.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
check the plugs in the back of the cluster. i has a similar issue with my analog cluster, one of the plugs wasnt in all the way and vibrated off.

Jyrydr

I Wanna Go Fast
May 26, 2012
Western Australia
I've had it out and apart now, checked all wires, plugs etc back together, back in, no change. I gonna check more more wires further away. There's others(electrical) things that aren't right. Ill sort them first, may or may not be related.
I'll get back.

Also I'm in touch with an old mate, a mate of his bought 2 supra's, the 7m-gte just for manual g-box so all my parts prob's may be over. I just need to go see it.

Jyrydr

I Wanna Go Fast
May 26, 2012
Western Australia
There was meant to be a couple of thank you's in that last message...

I had neons under the car before, they were on it when I bought it, I've taken them off(2 broke) but left the wiring in. They had a controller so they could flash steady, with eng revs, with music or just be on. I'm wondering if the way they were hooked up(to the eng revs) may be causing my prob.
They're the only thing I've left out or aren't hooked up.
That said I do have 1 plug left unused behind stereo(not factory deck) running into the dash and three plugs under passenger seat that I have no Idea what they're for. They run along door sill, under glove box, behind stereo, then into driver side with everything else. But there's nothing left out, there's not even anything electrical there, or meant to be.

I'll keep following wires... yep, i'm down to following each individual wire. Great fun.

What do you mean check signals??? I got my dad & uncle(both lecky's) to help me read the circuit diagrams & test things, coz I not great at that(I not stupid though).
All fuse were fine, ecu doing whatever its supposed to, there's power where its supposed to be.
My uncle has rebuilt 2 Daimler's plus others and used to be a rally driver so I'll trust he got it right, just incase there was a question of my helps competence.

Oh, and to boot, I think my Immobiliser has stopped working just yesterday. bloody electrical probs, I prefer mechanical ones, not the cost just the work.