My Future build.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
emericaskater285;1838250 said:
But if you are looking for more hosrepower a 2j would be the better choice money wise, and aftermarket parts wise. If you are looking to keep under 500 whp a 7m would be much better for the wallet, because if you already have one in your engine bay then you are not spending on a swap. If you are looking for major power, upwards of 800+ a 2j is your friend. It has been built to over that horsepower number many times, and I think it is easier to find parts to build a 2j compared to a 7m. Plus I think a 2j is much more forgiving than 7m's. This is all just my opinion tho. I am sure there is someone out there that disagrees 100% with me.

There's gonna be people who go both ways but in ll honesty the 2J had proven it self time and time again. The 7M has too but i think the owner plays a bigger roll in a High power 7M then a 2J

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Seriously, how much money do you expect to put into this dream build? $25k? $30k? If the answer is no then you'll need to start picking and choosing what parts will actually get you what you want AND what you can afford.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Turbo Habanero;1838248 said:
Now to be honest a 2JZ GTE swap would cost upwards of 6k just for the swap (not to sure just a rough guess) and that nets you around 280whp..

That is a little high for that figure. Driftmotion quoted me lower, and that was with them furnishing the 2J and all the parts needed and work done.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Really I've heard of good swaps costing tons of cash. Something about buying a used motor and just doing a compression test and putting it in my car doesn't settle nice with me

Who knows what this motor has been through and the real miles and abuse or where and how long it has sat.

2jz or any motor for that case.

Personally I think the motor should be torn down and gone over upon receiving this I don't think driftmotion would include in the price they gave you.

Also what 2J did driftmotion say they would get you ? One from a usdm Mk4 would net you 280whp.

One from a aristo or jdm Mk4 or something else probably not so much in stock unknown condition

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
suprarx7nut;1838293 said:
Seriously, how much money do you expect to put into this dream build? $25k? $30k? If the answer is no then you'll need to start picking and choosing what parts will actually get you what you want AND what you can afford.

Wow this made me realize that at this present time I think its best to just save my money until a much later time then dump it on this money pit. I had a list to do my 2JZ swap as well but it wasn't anything like OP's but I'm going to trash it and start all over again lol

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
phatbimmer;1838441 said:
Wow this made me realize that at this present time I think its best to just save my money until a much later time then dump it on this money pit. I had a list to do my 2JZ swap as well but it wasn't anything like OP's but I'm going to trash it and start all over again lol

Just be realistic. Price everything out and then double it. Just because a few people have been able to do a 2JZ swap for $4k doesn't mean that you can count on similar results. Used motors are all luck of the draw. You should always plan on the worst. Otherwise you'll end up with a half assed, corner cutting build.

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
suprarx7nut;1838466 said:
Just be realistic. Price everything out and then double it. Just because a few people have been able to do a 2JZ swap for $4k doesn't mean that you can count on similar results. Used motors are all luck of the draw. You should always plan on the worst. Otherwise you'll end up with a half assed, corner cutting build.

Very helpful man, thanks

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Laxboy36,do you play lacrosse? Just a question.
As far as your build list, there are a number of parts you might want to reconsider. Radiator and fans being one. As far as the FFIM, see if Ron R. is still making them. Crank could be knife edged, polished and nitrided. Might want to look at Pauter rods with the JE pistons. Turbo manifold? Seth makes a nice one. I could go on & on.. Bottom line, everyone that has posted on here has given you some good advice, your choice. Bottom, bottom line, from experience, you better be looking at 40-50K to get everything done right and tuned.

laxboy36

Mar 25, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
SWD Fredester yeah i played lacrosse in HS and honestly if there is a 7M on here making 1349WHP with 3.0l anything can happen, i wanna be fully built and just prove that the 7m is better then a 2j. But my biggest goal is to go to Titan Motorsport and have my car slap them in the face knowing that its just a 7m. And half the stuff i put on there i was at work bored as hell and thought of parts that ive seen on the internet, so yeah i def need to put some time and look at these parts slowly.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
laxboy36;1839412 said:
SWD Fredester yeah i played lacrosse in HS and honestly if there is a 7M on here making 1349WHP with 3.0l anything can happen, i wanna be fully built and just prove that the 7m is better then a 2j. But my biggest goal is to go to Titan Motorsport and have my car slap them in the face knowing that its just a 7m. And half the stuff i put on there i was at work bored as hell and thought of parts that ive seen on the internet, so yeah i def need to put some time and look at these parts slowly.

Slap Titan in the face.....LMFAO. Even if you went there and made 10000000000 hp, they aren't going to be impressed. The only people you may impress are all of us and maybe your buddies. I've told you before about titan. BTW if you didnt know this, I am David. The guy you txt every now and then asking for some help. If you start collecting parts now, and things, I will personally come help you build your car. Your like an hour drive from me. So I will see to it that things get done right. But seriously, you need to price out everything you listed, and take a step back, because right now, your looking at 2 years worth of just collecting parts.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
laxboy36;1839412 said:
i wanna be fully built and just prove that the 7m is better then a 2j. But my biggest goal is to go to Titan Motorsport and have my car slap them in the face knowing that its just a 7m. And half the stuff i put on there i was at work bored as hell and thought of parts that ive seen on the internet, so yeah i def need to put some time and look at these parts slowly.

4669812732_5407c2534c_b.jpg

but by all means go ahead and slap titan motorsports in the face with a build of parts youve "seen on the internetz."

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Another MkIII;1839544 said:
I suppose that depends on your definition of better.
-AM3

Please give Me reasons the 7m is better..... And then tell Me what better means to you ...

The 7m is a good motor but there's a reason the 2jz has its legend.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
gurley0916;1839561 said:
I like how the 7m has half inch head studs and still has hg issues hehehehehehe....

Lol well mine had arp headstuds and i still managed to blow my head gasket :)

I think more or less cause I over heated the shit out of a felpro but still lol.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
Turbo Habanero;1839678 said:
Lol well mine had arp headstuds and i still managed to blow my head gasket :)

I think more or less cause I over heated the shit out of a felpro but still lol.

Ya think?

And this is why I don't frequent SM that much.

:biglaugh: