My First Targa TOP, how do I remove it?

kaz87supra

Supra Owner
Mar 31, 2005
Owasso OK
I know, I know.... NOOOOOB Question, but I am a NOOB to the targa. I just bought kind of a "ragged" turbo targa and my real question is, do you have to use an Allen Wrench to take it loose each time, or did it originally come with convienent knobs?

-Adam

Interex

Mar 30, 2005
Houston, TX
They originally came with a ratcheting tool that had an allen bit. If you want, you can actually get one of those small cordless screw drivers and get an allen bit for it. Makes it much easier to take off and put back on. :)

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Yea, I have the little tool and its not hard at all and shouldn't take long. The tool works really well I think.

kaz87supra

Supra Owner
Mar 31, 2005
Owasso OK
can you take a pic so i know what to look for in the car?

the car looks as tho the cops searched it for drugs... stuff is kinda scattered right now..

like i said this is my 1st targa outta my previous 5supras

CassMori

Boost Addict
Turkish said:
Ive heard bad things about using power screw drivers...

I've not had any problems with mine yet, but it' s just an $8 Wally World special. Not enough power to strip the screws; I have to switch it to manual to tighten them. Although, I wouldn't mind having one of those little rachet thingys, if someone had a spare.......

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
I think the knob he's talking about is the one in Fast and Furious Orange MKIV hollywooooodd Targa.

The bolts are there for a reason so when you are going down the hwy, it doesn't pop off. With the chassis flex, I don't think a latch would be strong enough on a MKIII

ShagsSupra

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Wilmington NC
Toyota Dealer sells the stock allen wrench for 15$, well thats what I paid for mine.

can you take a pic so i know what to look for in the car?

fold both your sun visors down and there is 2 bolt holes there, Lossen them all the way, then look back and you will see 2 peices of plastic with bolt holes there, loose bolts all the way....

Then if your short or cant get a good reach like me shimmy yourself to the center and put your head in the middle and grab both sides and push up, then place in the hatch. :)

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
you remove the top w/ a 6mm allen bit. you can get a 1/4" rachet with a 6mm socket on it. then use the stock toyota targa key, put it in the socket and you have a targa tool cheaper than OEM parts.

also, the bolt sequence is under the driverside visor. if you are looking down at the car from above, remove the front driver first, then work clockwise, and end up at the rear driver last.

installation is REVERSE of removal. dont tighten down the front bolts THEN the rear during reinstallation.. youre targa seals will not seal right and you will be more succeptible to leakery.

the rear seals need to be compressed horizontally, the front seals are compressed vertically. if you tighten the front bolts first, there is no allowance for the targa to snug up horizontally and seal against the rear gasket. if the front bolts are already tightend, and you tighten the rear, itll tweak the cowl too.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
chris bell said:
you remove the top w/ a 6mm allen bit. you can get a 1/4" rachet with a 6mm socket on it. then use the stock toyota targa key, put it in the socket and you have a targa tool cheaper than OEM parts.

also, the bolt sequence is under the driverside visor. if you are looking down at the car from above, remove the front driver first, then work clockwise, and end up at the rear driver last.

installation is REVERSE of removal. dont tighten down the front bolts THEN the rear during reinstallation.. youre targa seals will not seal right and you will be more succeptible to leakery.

the rear seals need to be compressed horizontally, the front seals are compressed vertically. if you tighten the front bolts first, there is no allowance for the targa to snug up horizontally and seal against the rear gasket. if the front bolts are already tightend, and you tighten the rear, itll tweak the cowl too.

This is the first time I have ever heard about doing it like this, I learn something new everyday :)

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
chris bell said:
installation is REVERSE of removal. dont tighten down the front bolts THEN the rear during reinstallation.. youre targa seals will not seal right and you will be more succeptible to leakery

could be an explination as to why my targa flew off while it was bolted down ;\

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Actually, I have the tool that came with the car but don't use.
I think a rachet type screw driver with a bit makes for easier removal & installation.
I see many don't agree with me or have not gone down that route.
Before you say it, yes I can provide enough torque to do it with my chosen tool.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Just be careful. If you leave your top off for hours at a time, you'll have the occasional critter scare the ever living $hit out of you when you least expect it.;)

Johnny Dangerously

I can eat planets
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX..
flubyux2 said:
youre targa seals will not seal right and you will be more succeptible to leakery.

didnt think it would take 18 replies for a simple question off a simple thread..HOWEVER...ive never ever ever heard the word Leakery in my life. hahahahahaha. I read something new everyday!