my first build thread

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
I found one 86 in a new lkq in huntsville. But their kinda scarce here ,or atleast I don't see them around very often. I haven't checked any of the yards closer to birmingham or nashville though.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
As for head and block, you do want to take them both to a machine shop, and have them check the mating surfaces.
Also have the crank checked. If your headgasket blew, you may have gotten coolant into the oil, meaning all the bearing surfaces could have been contaminated.
For me, I would do the following, even if i bought a good running engine from someone:
Block:
Disassemble
Remove bearings, check for damage(indicating problems with crank or rods)
Toss head bolts
Have rods checked for sizing
Check bores for damage, rehone.
Check pistons( I often just replace)
Replace rings
Check freeze plugs

Head:
Remove all valves, clean them, check head thickness and straightness
Replace all valve stem seals
Lap valve seats
Reassemble

Expect to pay a minimum of two hundred bucks at a machine shop(if you have a very good motor), and a few hundred more in gaskets, hoses and miscellaneous stuff.

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
Now if I'm sending the block off anyway is it worth it to just go with a mhg since I'm just kinda building it for stock power levels. Also do you have a particulair brand of bearings you would recomend? I figure if I'm going through the effort of breaking it all down I might as well rebuild it completely. anyone recommend a full rebuild kit, or is it cheaper to peice one together? Sorry for all the questions

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Complete rebuild kit from DM would help. Get the Toyota EGR valve gasket as it is a better quality one. You will have to modify the throttle body gasket, but its not hard to do at all, a razor blade would do.

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
Ok so my "reliable friends" once again backed out after they called me offering to help. So bodys dead last. I'm gonna sand and primer slightly rusty area on the quarter panel and leave it at that. Motor will be pulled in the next week or so as my best friend has graciously decided to pull his s14 project out of the shop so ill have some room to work. Hopefully ill have everything out to the machine shop in 2 weeks.

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
Yeah there's a couple in my area but only one that I've never heard anything bad about. I'm not sure if they've had much work with toyotas though. Idk anyone around here that even owns a supra much less anyone to recommend a machine shop experienced with these motors. I'm not gonna rush though so maybe ill find someone that can recommend someone in the huntsville al area.

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
So I got the car pulled into the garage at about 1 and worked till just now. Was gonna compression test it but when I pulled the spark plug out of cylinder 1 it shot oil and the spark plug was completely soaked in oil. So I just started pullin the motor. My phone was about to die most of the day so I couldnt snap any pics ,will do that wed. Got the carpet pulled, Replaced my gas pedal, and trashed some awful stereo wiring. The previous owner striped the coil pack bolts so ill have to figure out somethin there. That's about it for the update so far, its not a lot but progress is is progress ya know.

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
Also the turbos blown, but a friend of mine gave me a spare one he had bought for an mr2 project, so free ct26 for me!

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
I seem to have neglected to update. We finally got into our new place so I finally got the time to actually accomplish something. Pics to come when I feel like it worth showing. Turns out it does not have a blown head gasket. I've ordered front and rear main seals, a new water pump, a bunch of new gaskets, steel braided turbo lines, and a couple other things. Got a 3" down pipe with the ct26. My interior is also back together for the most part, fixed my window and now I keep wondering what I could do to replace the stock door cards. Mine look terrible and I've been throwing around the idea of doing sheet metal door panels. Anyone ever done this and made it actually look good. I know its not much of an update but progress will be much steadier from here on out.