My FFIM conversion......2JZ style

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
OK....I figured everyone else is showing theirs off, I'd share mine.

I have been messing with the idea for about 6 months. Inbetween all that goes on in everday life, (wife, kids, work, bill$) I have managed to finally finish most of the project.

I researched my options and was going to buy one from a fabricator here on SM, but decided I wanted more of a stock look. I managed to keep a/c, CSI and ISC. In the end, material, fabrication and my personal time = about the same as I would have paid for a Ron R. or sethron manifold.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
wiseco7mgt;1228720 said:
How close does that sit to the passenger shock tower? the pics make it look very wide.
cool job anyway.

Sorry i'm a stinking aussie, ^^^^^ i mean how close to the drivers side shock tower...lol

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Xistant;1228772 said:
going by the pics it doesnt stick that much further out than the alt, i'd say job nicely done hope it fits!

really take a look at this pic.
http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim1596aki2.jpg
on my car the alternator is flush with the outside of the manifold and between the manifold and the strut tower is a gap size of 45mm. This pic looks to me like it sticks out past the alternator at least 150mm and wouldn't fit thus the reason why i asked the question in the first place. I realize the alternator is probably pulled in tight and a smaller belt will be used but it still looks like a tight fit. Although you obviously measured it before you built it so i can't wait for more pics, it looks the part.!!

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
The the dimensions were taken for the lower runners from a friend of mine who has done the same. His fit no problem. Compared side-by-side w/ the stock set up, it is almost identical as far as it sits off the head. The stock intake brace (mount to intake plennum) bolts directly to the 2J manifold, no modification. I hope to drop it in this weekend.

Here is a pic of one of the same dimensions installed....

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
wiseco7mgt;1228787 said:
really take a look at this pic.
http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim1596aki2.jpg
on my car the alternator is flush with the outside of the manifold and between the manifold and the strut tower is a gap size of 45mm. This pic looks to me like it sticks out past the alternator at least 150mm and wouldn't fit thus the reason why i asked the question in the first place. I realize the alternator is probably pulled in tight and a smaller belt will be used but it still looks like a tight fit. Although you obviously measured it before you built it so i can't wait for more pics, it looks the part.!!

In that pic, the alt is in the a/c location. Needless to say it looks waaayy off there.

7th pic in the original post is where I ended up.

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
Breth;1228974 said:
Is there still enough space to let the battery in the front, or do you have to relocate it in the trunk??

Regards

I will be running a CSF radiator, so I'm not sure yet until the motor goes in.

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
cruisnhard;1229044 said:
I like it and would buy on. How much did the lower runner cost as far as parts?

7m lower I had sitting around from a part out
2j lower $50 - $90 depending on who you find parting a 2jzgte
(ge are different)
aluminum tubing for the runners...$50
upper plennum $100 - 200 (...again, depending on who is parting one out)
2jzgte t/b $60 (removed traction control myself)
alt bracket $55
custom adjuster parts $40
welding and some fabrication as well as decking flanges $250

not to mention my time researching, cutting, fitting....etc.

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
Voila! It's in! (Thanks to my good buddies Travis and Rudy) A/c compressor is not bolted up, but will fit w/ no problems. The stock alt. gave me a little bit better clearance than the MR2 alt. between the t/b and the a/c .