My E85 Project, Cracking 300WHP on a stock turbo

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
So Im getting ready to start piecing my parts together for E85.. Ill be using the Stock ECU, I am not really looking to get any power gains from it however I should be able to advance the base timing as long as it doesn't mess with the idle to much, we will see how that goes but mainly just doing it to remove detonation as im starting to see some at the higher boost levels with the high compression and 91 octane. I will be tuning for a 12.0 AFR on 14lbs with the Stock CT26, N/A bottom end so should be about 9.3:1 compression since the head has been shaved 10 thousands.

I am going to be using a Lexus AFM housing which is 25% larger so normally you would use 550CC injectors seeing that the stock ones are 440x.25=110 (440+110=550CC)

On most cars my brother tunes with E85 he only sees a increase of 25-30% fuel when going E85 compared to pump gas.

So that brings me back to if I were running stock AFM and about 10lbs I could get away with just using 550CC injectors as the TCCS wouldn't know and dump 25% more fuel to account for the 25% needed or so for E85. So with going to the Lexus AFM adding 25% more fuel to account for the 25% larger housing of the AFM and then going 30% larger on top of that injector size 550x.30=135 (550+135=685)

So I will be running 680CC injectors, most probably Siemens from driftmotion.

Most probably going with the new DW300 (300LPH) from Deatschwerks

Stay tuned for updates :)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
For what it's worth, I made 289rwhp/ 295rwtq on a bone stock CT26 with shaft play and blowing oil past it's seals.

Mods were:
-Lex AFM
-RC 550s
-BIC DDP, running open downpipe
-Fidanza lightweight flywheel, Clutchmasters Stage III clutch
-Aeromotive AFPR
-Generic crap cone intake
-boost at 15psi

Dyno was a Mustang. 300rwhp isn't out of reach for a stock turbo, but I suggest you have a VERY efficient intercooler, because past 14ish PSI the little CT is starting to blow some VERY hot air which brings the detonation threshold that much closer. (especially with bumped compression)

If efficiency wasn't an issue, I'd say 15psi on a stock CT26 would net you over 300rwhp with 9.3:1 CR. I was within 11rwhp and 5ft lbs tq of 300rwhp/tq. That was on a stock block JDM 7MGTE that I slapped in the car 6+ years ago. (no, I do not suggest doing that)

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Good to hear shaeff thanks for chiming in, Mainly in not really looking for power gains just to help decrease detonation, because right now at around 12 PSI I am starting to hear detonation, Weather I see power gains from it or not I should still see the detonation go down with the E85. The intercooler I'm running is 3x20x11 so its a decent size, The first thing im going to do is get a nice turbo blanket and wrap my intercooler pipe that passes over the turbo. Right now with no heat shield on the turbo and the cold pipe passing right over it I am getting surface temps of 900 degree's on the exhaust housing and about 200 on the "cold intercooer" pipe.. I think that will fix a lot and make the car pull better with that all buttoned up.

Thanks,
Devin

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Fuel lines your really not going to have any problems, Injectors are too small and you will run lean, You have to increase the injector size at least 30% to keep the same Air fuel ratio as before.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Update, E85 is soon to come as stock injectors are maxed out at 8PSI so I am upgrading to 750CC injectors.. But as a small update I put my car up on the dyno and made a impressive 303WHP 352ft lbs of torque on 12PSI with no tuning, rich AFR's on 91 octane! That is on a Dyno com load dyno that reads 3 HP lower than our local Mustang Dyno :D

Can't wait for 360HP on stock turbo 15lbs on E85!!!!! woot! :D

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
I will also be doing the same thing very soon. Kind of crazy that you are doing it too. I basically have the same setup as you GE-T but I haven't had any detonation on 12 lbs like you have but I also run 93 and I have an awesome turbo blanket. I'll be doing e85 for power. I hope to have my setup done by next month i just need injectors and afpr. then i'll tune it in and bring it to the local dyno. i'll keep everyone updated as well. I'm also still on the stock ct.

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
- dont you want to retard timing for detonation safety? and or advance for more power.

- yes i was reading on NASIOC someone who was running e85 on their subaru took their injectors out after 6 months to a year and took it to their lab to test the byproduct.
they said it was a cloudy colored substance that could be seen, and they concluded that the e85 and the rubber from injectors and fuel lines created this goop that eventually gets into your fuel system.
im pretty sure anyone could still find it with a few hours of searching on NASIOC.

- I ran my subaru (which everyone was saying upgrade fuel system) on e85 with no changes at all and it was fine. most of the time i did a mixture that i would call e50, but there were times where i ran it straight
and didnt have any problems. it was on an ej20g jdm turbo wrx engine from 1995. with stock ecu.
i wouldnt worry too much about running it in any stock car. just not for prolonged periods of time. or switch back and forth. also that advice is for daily driving like a normal person. not a track car.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
E85 runs lean if you do not upgrade to larger injectors.. It takes roughly 30% more of it to burn and make the same target AFR under WOT.. However you can tune a little bit leaner with E85.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
shaeff;1678296 said:
For what it's worth, I made 289rwhp/ 295rwtq on a bone stock CT26 with shaft play and blowing oil past it's seals.

For what it's worth ole buddy, that is above normal by a good amount. Your engine was/is healthy. If you go back to the TRD Supra which was before the HKS and Garrett bolt ons, they claimed 330 bhp. And with an A340E and 13 psi the car trapped 97. I trapped 98 with my Lex meter in place of the HKS alphabet.

Devins is also very healthy. That compression helps him more than he thinks.

Devin LeBlanc;1678335 said:
Good to hear shaeff thanks for chiming in, Mainly in not really looking for power gains just to help decrease detonation, because right now at around 12 PSI I am starting to hear detonation

Yeah, that 91 sucks. I drove out there a few weeks back and was pinging in your heat when climbing between Vegas and Kingsman Az. I feel for you. Keep up the good work. My next mod will be the IPT trans and converter. So I will be on your tail.