My Door/Window Improvement Project

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
One of my mk3's had awesome windows and doors. It had low mileage and had sat for years preserving the window and door seals. My current mk3, however, has 340k hard used miles and the windows and doors were showing it. I recently spent some time diving in and improving some minor things that have made a big difference. Oh, and I spent less than $20 per door.

One thing I didn't mention in the video or write-up below is that refreshing the pads and moving them in towards the window has made the window travel much more smooth. It no longer lurches when you initially roll up or down.

Enjoy!

http://yotamd.com/toyota/mk3_supra/door_improvement.html

[video=youtube;PRcLGZdj8qU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRcLGZdj8qU[/video]

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
FernandoDLT;2071483 said:
Now if you could tackle the wind noise! lol

I don't suppose you mean like this?: http://yotamd.com/toyota/mk3_supra/window_corner_seal.html

My wind noise is drastically reduced just by squeezing that corner piece and carefully adding some black electrical tape. For $200 you could buy new corner brackets and should be able to eliminate wind noise pretty well.

Billybob9187

Mar 9, 2015
Stockton Ca
It looks like you are missing the rail that the white plug on the bottom left hand coorner sits in. I remember when doing my window there was a rail that bolted on guided that up and down.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Nick M;2071517 said:
Good job on 340k miles. You are way ahead of many here in not being a dumb-ass with the car.

Thanks! I pride myself on not being a dumb-ass - at least not all the time. There are plenty of annoying small things on the car, but all in all, for a 340k mile chassis it's pretty amazing. I'm hoping to hold out until I hit 350k until the car leaves me, but we'll see what the next few years bring.

Billybob9187;2071586 said:
It looks like you are missing the rail that the white plug on the bottom left hand corner sits in. I remember when doing my window there was a rail that bolted on guided that up and down.

If you're referring to the guide track, I do have that and the roller is in good (enough) shape. Although if I had a huge budget or was making this into a museum piece, I'd replace the roller on the window and the track along with most the other door hardware.

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
Nice vid, thanks for the great detail. I think the regulators are discontinued, I tried ordering them but no luck. I did buy those guide pads about 5 years ago, I wonder if they are still available.

SupraDrew

Apr 27, 2007
South Texas
I watched the video and was curious about the lip that you had put drill bits in. I bought new trim because the black coating is falling off my current trim. It looks like the new trim has the same tight small lip.
NewTrim.jpg

Thanks for doing the video.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
SupraDrew;2072182 said:
I watched the video and was curious about the lip that you had put drill bits in. I bought new trim because the black coating is falling off my current trim. It looks like the new trim has the same tight small lip.
View attachment 77913

Thanks for doing the video.

Oh, very cool! Can you please take a picture of that from the end? Like a side view showing the profile of that lip feature?

It also looks like yours is soft or almost felt-like.

Did you have any trouble ordering it? I'm guessing it was somewhere around $130-160?

SupraDrew

Apr 27, 2007
South Texas
When I ordered them they were still available (about a month ago). There are a bunch of parts that I wanted to order but are no longer available. They cost me 142 each.

Hope these are pictures you wanted.
DSCN2750.jpg
DSCN2751.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Very cool, thanks! It looks like the new ones angle out more into the window than my old ones. Not as much as I thought, but they should still put more pressure and contact onto the window.

I'm glad they're still available! That should look great on the outside as well as help the window glide better in the track.

supranaut

Rock'n Death with Spikes
Apr 5, 2005
STL
SupraDrew;2072355 said:
Part numbers are:
75710-14240
75720-14240

List price is 195.84 Ouch! Have you looked into getting them from Japan?

I dont even know if they are discontinued...where did you get yours from?