My CPS wont adjust down or up to 10 degrees

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
So i had some issues, there fixed now, buttt... my timing WAS off, and now since i redid the physical timing with the belt and cam gears, its 100% accurate. Both of the intake and exhaust cams line up perfectly with the marks on the cover, and the crank is at 0 degrees and i know my crank key is in good shape.

Why cant i get my cps to go down or up to 10 degrees though?
i was able to before with my 3mm headgasket... and now i cant on my 1.4... could that have made a big difference? i also changed my intake cam since something happened to it... but both of the cams are in the center dowel, so it makes no sense to me...

any ideas?

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Rennat;1221523 said:
So i had some issues, there fixed now, buttt... my timing WAS off, and now since i redid the physical timing with the belt and cam gears, its 100% accurate. Both of the intake and exhaust cams line up perfectly with the marks on the cover, and the crank is at 0 degrees and i know my crank key is in good shape.

Why cant i get my cps to go down or up to 10 degrees though?
i was able to before with my 3mm headgasket... and now i cant on my 1.4... could that have made a big difference? i also changed my intake cam since something happened to it... but both of the cams are in the center dowel, so it makes no sense to me...

any ideas?

Although you may have verified the key is in fine shape, that doesnt necessarily mean the balancer is correct. The rubber elastomer between the 2 portions of the balancer may be compromised and allowed them to rotate on each other a bit. Verify TDC with the IJ method of a chopstick thru the #1 plug hole and rotate the crank until its highest point and see if it corresponds to TDC on the balancer. If that checks out, and both cam gears are lined up properly, then the CPS position needs to be rechecked.

juhanis

2jza70
Jan 11, 2006
Los Gatos, California
i have a problem similar to this... now i'm pretty sure of the fact that i'm running a 98 2jzge vvti bottom end, an older 2jzge non vvti head, 2jzgte headgasket, with full 7mgte electronics arent helping things very much. but yeah, i cant seem to get my timing down to something below 10degrees btdc. i've tried almost everything to no avail. i did manage to get it to 10* btdc, so, i'm thankful of at least that. all my marks are correct... i've verified many times. i'm just throwing this out there to see if anyone can tell me something useful. i didnt mean to treadjack :icon_bigg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
It could be as simple as you not inserting the CPS into the correct gear teeth when putting it in.

One time, I couldn't get the damn thing in straight for the life of me on my turbo. It took about a dozen tries to get it right. I'd done it before with no problems and always gotten it right first try on my N/A, but for some reason I just kept ending up a tooth off...

To keep it simple I would try reinstalling it if your range of timing does not reach 10 DBTDC

bluemkiii

redmkiii's little brother
Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
My brother is having the same problem. He can't get his car to 10 degrees. Its a 5 right now and we've both tried fixing it by moving the teeth of the cps and nothing. It will either go to 15 degrees or 5 degrees. If we do move it to 10 the bolt for the cps wont bolt on the head.

Kinda off topic question but would a 7m start with the cams 180 degrees off?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
my brother redid the cps, and he got it... so who knows.

but i have some other issues... it idles at like 500ish rpms and i have no trouble codes, although i found a bad wire on the o2, but i fixed that and nothing else changed... and im pretty sure i have a "whistle" from somewhere in my intake manifold area... so im going to investigate that further.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
bluemkiii;1221766 said:
My brother is having the same problem. He can't get his car to 10 degrees. Its a 5 right now and we've both tried fixing it by moving the teeth of the cps and nothing. It will either go to 15 degrees or 5 degrees. If we do move it to 10 the bolt for the cps wont bolt on the head.

Kinda off topic question but would a 7m start with the cams 180 degrees off?

You still have the cps off by a tooth. Guaranteed.

Pull it back out, line it all up and try again. You may have to try a dozen times to get it right. I got it wrong at least 8 times in a row last time. There's a very small margin for error.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Rennat;1221772 said:
my brother redid the cps, and he got it... so who knows.

but i have some other issues... it idles at like 500ish rpms and i have no trouble codes, although i found a bad wire on the o2, but i fixed that and nothing else changed... and im pretty sure i have a "whistle" from somewhere in my intake manifold area... so im going to investigate that further.

vac reading?

juhanis

2jza70
Jan 11, 2006
Los Gatos, California
yeah, i'm probably a tooth off. i cant wait to get my megasquirt installed. the laptop will take care of that... hahaa. oh well, i guess i'll pull the damn thing out and stab it in again. even though i went like 15 times or so. oh well. stupid cps.