My Clean up thread

bennza

Jul 29, 2008
Houston
Hey guys I thought i would start one of these even though I'm not rebuilding or doing anything drastic yet, just cleaning it up and trying to get the car running smoothly.

I hardly post here but I do a lot of reading and follow everyones build threads.

This is my dads old car he got it back in 97 and I took it from him my junior year of high school. Now I'm in my sophomore year of college without a car lol. Its a 87 turbo pearl white burgundy interior.

Things that have been done before are HKS catback, K&N are filter, hardpipe kit, hoses were replaced over the summer and the rest of them are getting done now

p1514811_1.jpg

p1514811_2.jpg

p1514811_3.jpg

p1514811_4.jpg

Well that all i got so far, hopefully the rest of my parts get in this week so when i get back to houston i can start putting her back together.

p1514811_5.jpg

Now on the the work I've recently started

Dropped the tank and changed the fuel pump(wont ever see the purple so dont hate :icon_bigg)
p1514811_6.jpg

Then i moved on to the engine and decided to replace most of the gaskets and replace all the vac lines
(unfortunately i never got a pic from the starting point)
p1514811_7.jpg

p1514811_8.jpg

Tried cleaning up the engine bay it was pretty bad
p1514811_9.jpg

p1514811_10.jpg

Hopefully the rest of my parts get here this week so I can start putting her back together when i get home.

bennza

Jul 29, 2008
Houston
Thanks I'm in the northwest side of town around 249 beltway 8. But I got so SHSU so I only have a chance to work on the car on weekends.

jdmma70: Thats what im banking on so far I've just degreased it.

bennza

Jul 29, 2008
Houston
Time for an update. I started putting it back together got the gas tank in and connected and started bolting everything back on the head. The EGR is in a ridiculous spot i guess i just dont have the right tool but it took me all day to tighten it up. I ended up using the fuel rail that i kinda messed up I just have to wait and see and hope that the fpr doesnt leak fuel. As long as everything thing works it should be running tomorrow.

p1526190_1.jpg

Thats what it looks like right now I just need to clean up some oil stains and fill her up with gas. I'll post some real pictures tomorrow after i clean it up.

bennza

Jul 29, 2008
Houston
Thanks poodles I did that instead and saw that the pulsator i think thats what its called was leaking but the fpr seemed to be doing fine.

Well I got the car running after a couple cranks it finally turned on idled great and steady at 650 rpms. Let it warm up for a while and took it on a test drive. Everything seemed fine all the gauges were where they should be and bam! it freaking dies. I started it up again and it turned on fine. but its dead again and it wont turn on. I was thinking it could be a low battery had it tested it was a 89% so i had it charged anyways and brought it back and still nothing. Im not sure what the issue is.

bennza

Jul 29, 2008
Houston
Carlos you were freaking right! it was the cps wire. Its running good now a lot better then it was before at least.

thanks brgrubb all i need is a built motor like yours!

bennza

Jul 29, 2008
Houston
Nope it pulls fine all the way through just keeps going. Never felt that before lol. But i still have to see how it does on the highway.