My 7MGE Dyno

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
Dunno if this should be in the 7MGE section, or racing section, but it's mostly pictures so here we go!

189.6Hp
199.7lbft of torque!!! needless to say I am happy. I have exceeded my expectations with this 7mge project.

I went in with a peak hp of 178hp. 10 or so runs later and I had my peak number. Initially, I reduced the timing two degrees (to 10 degrees) as the motor was pinging at low rpm. I actually picked up about 1.5hp from this. 6 runs later and I had the cam gears dialed in...finally settling at -4Ex and 0 intake. The SAFC worked perfectly to adjust the A/F ratio and I got it to hovering between 12.5 and 13:1.

the car feels fantastic! I am very happy. Power gains were solid all across the powerband and I gained 18hp at 4000rpm (very nice to cruise now) and a whopping 23hp at redline! I did not lose ANY power from the cam gear adjustments, nor did I move the powerband at all, it truely did increase power across the whole rev range. It was really neat to see the A/F ratio change too as I got more power out of it via the cam gear adjustments...it was definitely burning more fuel! I didn't need to do much safc work to get it where I wanted.

the car pulls excellently throughout the rev range now...look at that torque curve! it sounds great and smooth (as you can tell in the video) with no smoke!

on to the pics!

okbntx.jpg

246q1za.jpg

the shop's supra, makes 908whp

2iqg8y9.jpg

a viper, waiting for something

96xiq8.jpg

my supra, waiting to be put on the Dynapack 4000

2m2x5z8.jpg

2mxr62s.jpg

2cr1183.jpg

2cnwmfo.jpg

rjkx1u.jpg

ready for action!

9kz79u.jpg

2j1rl1c.jpg

159g78.jpg

Weather: 16 Degrees celcius, 94% relative humidity. 99.58Kpa

The Best Run:

4v63qp.jpg

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Id3Z6rzK4

for those that missed it, My build thread is here:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45761&highlight=tire+shredder's

Rebuilt using:
- stock pistons (cleaned)
- king precision bearings
- polished crank
- NPR piston rings
- shaved head and decked block for 10.3:1 compression.
- Ishino-Johnson crank scraper
- ported and polished head
- port matched intake manifold, y-pipe and TB
- 3 angle valve job
- doug thorley headers
- hand-made PTFE intake manifold insulator
- 2.5" mandrel bent stainless brullen exhaust
- 2.5" magnaflow cat
- K&N intake, removed silencer
- Deleted TB and ISCV coolant lines, EGR removed.
- JDM ecu
- TRD catch can

Last edited:

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
Mr.PFloyd;1355705 said:
Nice steve. So how did Tony treat ya :D

excellent! he gave me some advice for the cam adjustments and showed me how to use the safc properly. he was invaluable. I should have paid him more, really.

that acis certainly isn't a gimic. That early torque peak is very nice on the highway, right where my car cruises.

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
Very nice! Ive always wondered what your setup would make! Looks like your hard work on the GE payed off!

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
thanks guys! It always feels great to get compliments on the car, I really appreciate it.

my goal was 180whp and I've definitely exceeded my expectations so far. I wanted to run 14s, and I should be able to run mid to low 14s now. I don't like drag racing (if I did, i'd have gone turbo) but I do autocross the car quite a bit. This kind of power is perfect for a coned course. It's a blast to drive now!

I didn't turbo the car mainly for money reasons as I am a university student still. This build was budget minded with under $1500 spent on the motor.

it's certainly a big improvement over my 130whp 5m I had in there.

The car will be turbo someday, but not with this GE motor (it's 10.3:1 compression would not be ideal). When it does get a turbo, it will be part of a full restoration, which will be several years away. I've been thinking about what to do for years and haven't made a decision yet (2j or 7m). This 7MGE should give a me a few years of trouble free fun with the car.

being so close to 200whp it really makes me want to see the full potential of this motor in this chassis. Cams? ignition upgrades? hmmm...the tuning bug is so easy to catch! it's a wonderful package right now though!

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
IJ.;1356511 said:
Nice job Steve!

ACIS's looks a little slow reacting (my understanding is there shouldn't be a dip when it's right)

thanks, IJ. sounds even better coming from you!

that's interesting about the acis. I didn't know that, I'll inspect the system the next chance I get.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
AJ'S 88NA;1356521 said:
Nice Steve, keep at it,very close to that 200 mark. What were your AFR's?

they were pretty good actually. it was around 11.5 when I started. as I made adjustments to the cam gears power increased across the whole rev range and the AFR curve moved up to around 12.0:1. It was neat to see this happen as it confirmed the motor was being more efficient with the fuel it was dumping in.

once the cams were dialed in, I went to the safc. The motor needed no adjustments below 3500rpm. when I finished I had -10% adjustment on on the safc at peak power which carried that to redline. Just a gentle scale up to that adjustment point from 3500-4500.

interesting enough is at one point I did go even more aggressive with the fuel to around 13:1 but the car didn't make anymore power at all, so we turned it down for some safety margin

final air fuel ratio was relatively flat, hovering around 12.5:1 area, never getting leaner than 13:1. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture in all the excitement.