My $300 paint job

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
Like the title says I have exactly 300 bucks into this. I did all the body work and primed myself. That took countless nights in the garage working a single dent sometimes 3 or 4 times. A friend that has painted hundreds of cars sprayed it in my garage. And another friend that works at a body shop color sanded and buffed. What do you all think? If you click the pictures it links to my photobucket with all the pics of the car including some progress pics.

Here is a link to how the car looked befor. http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...-Crypton2006-photoshoot&highlight=Crypton2006

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1305254929953.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1305254929953.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 157
  • uploadfromtaptalk1305254957725.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1305254957725.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 160
  • uploadfromtaptalk1305254995308.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1305254995308.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY

It is all in the prep work.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but a lot of people believe you need to spend a lot to get a good paint job.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
umm.. some of us aren't gifted with body/paint abilities.. and some of us have exactly the amount of time free to book it in for a paint job. I fall into both those categories. Thumbs up to the 300.00 paint job.. but if you were paying yourself 45.00 per hour... what is the paint job actually worth? :)

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
Enraged;1710062 said:
looks really good. get some tire shine on there, it will make it look even better.

lol there was tire shine on there before i had to drive down a dirt road to get to work. I don't normaly take the car to work but the car was dirty already so i figured what the heck.

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
boostcraver;1710076 said:
How much paint did you use, and in how many layers? Looking to be up to something similar here soon and don't want to over-buy.
I bought 3 quarts of base which makes 6 quarts after you reduce it. I still have like 2 quarts left. I bought one gallon of clear. There are 2 coats of base and 3 coats of clear except the hood there are four coats on it. The only regret i have is not spending more time on the body. After 30 hours of body work i still had a few dents and i said just screw them. You have to look hard for them but i know that they are there.

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

Grandavi;1710094 said:
umm.. some of us aren't gifted with body/paint abilities.. and some of us have exactly the amount of time free to book it in for a paint job. I fall into both those categories. Thumbs up to the 300.00 paint job.. but if you were paying yourself 45.00 per hour... what is the paint job actually worth? :)

Ya i don't have a lot of time either, I had at the time two jobs, a wife and a kid.lol It can be done it is just VERY inconvenient. I would pay someone around 2k for my paint job and feel like i got a good deal..other then the dents i left because of time restriction. I took a class at the local collage for paint and body! It really is pretty easy.. Just get out there and don't be afraid to work a dent 10 times before you get it right!

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Normally the rule is 2 quarts unreduced 1:1 paint, some paints are 2:1 so you have to watch what you are getting. Also there is a big difference in the paint you get. I get a lot of friends that want to go to autozone and pick up paint to save money but the paint will not lay out very well not matter how good you are at painting, that is unless you do the coats very light and let it sit for 3 hours between coats, this sounds strange but the stuff takes for ever to smooth out. But alas I am looking at spending nearly $300 just on my paint. But when you get a 3 stage pearl its going to be more expensive.

I have seen $500 macoo paint jobs turn out looking really good, and after a wet sand they look great, but a lot of the time it turns out like crap, mostly in the paint they use. With that being said my uncle rebuilds totaled european car, ie bmw merc ect, he does all the body work and prep and takes it to macoo, he supplies the paint and they charge him $200 to paint them for him. Then he wet sands after its done. Every one he has done this way has turned out perfect.

Either way looks good man good job, and it looks like I am going to have to do this soon for a bunch of my friends cars, they are going to do all the work and I will spray and supply my shop for painting in. Gotta get mine and my wifes painted first before any of that starts. I just hope you thanked them properly with a case of:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I like that color, looks very nice on the car. What color is that? Gurley better watch out, now your gonna be stealing his thunder.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
gurley0916;1710077 said:
Needs a front lip and fog lights :p
And some brakes... but otherwise looks really nice man! :)

metaphysico;1710243 said:
I just hope you thanked them properly with a case of:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Hah, a 12-pack! I see what you did there...

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
Actually i didn't buy them beer, But i did build one guy a fully built b20 that revs to 9.5k. Made 230 vtec wheel horseponies yo!
Just for fun....
I don't think even Dustin has seen this. My wife and I spent twelve hour's doing this. Going through these pictures makes me realize how much i need a built thread, if not for anything but to remind me how far this car has come.

Befor
sm_photo_missing.jpg

During
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

After
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
S.A. supra;1710248 said:
I like that color, looks very nice on the car. What color is that? Gurley better watch out, now your gonna be stealing his thunder.

Ya its getting there since im back on saw blades...he needs to finish his window trim big time. I really want to get my car resprayed by the same guy but money has been an issue and dont have the time for body work during school. I think the color came off a celica if I remember.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk