mx83 front sump confusion .... help !!!!

7mgt

Apr 29, 2013
evansville
i am currently swapping a 7mgte into my 89 cressida. i have everything ready to go , just one thing still puzzles me. i am not sure if i can use a stock replacement ge cressida pump and pickup, or cut and weld the one i have in the gte currently. my cressida like every other cressida is a front sump setup and the supra is a rear sump. i have spent hours reading other people comments on this subject, but they all seem to be misleading. some say the ge one will starve the bearings while others say there is no difference beside being a front sump setup. i have even gone to the lengths of taking both apart and comparing the two. the internals of both seem the same , but i would rather know 100% for sure before attempting the ge pump in my gte. and fyi the pickups are not interchangable ive already tried that. if anyone has any information that would be helpful in figuring this out it would be much appreciated . you can email me at jeremycarter44@gmail.com or message me back here thanks

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
well i know that the MK2 supra guys drop the 7mgtes into there cars alot, or use to, and that is a front sump car, same as the cressida.

also what will you be doing with your car? just a daily/weekend racer? if so you should have no prob at essentially stock power for oiling.

7mgt

Apr 29, 2013
evansville
yea itll just be a weekend car, i am currently mocking up a mkIII pickup to fit my car then im going to have a machine shop take my mockup and new pickup and make it front sump ill post some pics up when im done . there is just a bunch of misleading info out there about 7mgtes and swapping them into anything except the supras , and jzxproject is no help. all they do is 1jzs mainly

7mgt

Apr 29, 2013
evansville
i talked to a few ppl that have done front sump conversions on celica supras and they have told me that i can use a stock cressida 7mge pump and pickup and it will work fine. i think for safe measure im going to shim the pressure relief spring tho

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ok so you're taking an engine known for Oil supply issues even when used with the correct higher volume pump and fitting it with a barely adequate pump designed for an engine without a Turbo and Oil Squirters... good luck with that.. :nono: