Must-have tools for MK3 maintenance / repairs / upgrades?

MD_Co

Jun 6, 2011
North Carolina
So, I'm acquiring an 89 Supra Turbo Targa in the next few weeks and have been lurking here since I figured that out. After some searching, I couldnt find a specific thread on the useful tools for MK3 work. I've got a good set of craftsman tools in my collection already (sockets, wrenches, breaker bars, swivel adapters, matco 20-250 torque wrench, impact gun, drill, flare nut wrenches, jack & stands, wheel chocks, etc) but I'm looking to buy a bunch more that have been on my list for a while.

Before I make my orders, my question to everyone here is: What are the tools that are critical for supra maintenance or that make various repair/upgrade jobs significantly easier?

I know that this is somewhat broad, but here are a few things that I forsee doing very soon: Dropping the fuel tank (car has been sitting for 5+ years), basic maintenance like changing oil and brake fluid, replacing filters, belts, spark plugs and wires as needed. And eventually some starting performance mods like exhaust and intercooler once all the basics are sorted out.

I'm looking for the things where you say: "Man, I need an extra _______ for this!" or "I always end up using _____ for this job."
I've been in situations where something like two 7/16" flex-head ratchet wrenches would make the difference between struggling for an hour with one bolt vs being done in 5 minutes. What are these items in the MK3 supra world?

Thanks!
-Mike

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
you can take the whole car apart with basic metric sockets and wrenches. Nothing really special.

easier to break the crank pulley loose with it in the car. If not you could buy a holding tool or make one.

Oil might leak out of the no3 spark plug cover bolts. That uses a 14mm allen.

Thats pretty much it. Its not a bmw where you need a special tool every 5 min.

MD_Co

Jun 6, 2011
North Carolina
Pokey2301;1733966 said:
and some extra headgaskets come in handy too with a torque wrench

Haha. That's also on my list of To-do's, since its never been replaced. I've already got the torque wrench. =)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Lots of extensions - mostly long ones, with a few of the shorter ones to make the right length for things like the transmission bolts and starter.

Flex head ratcheting wrenches - most importantly the 14mm for the turbo, but buy the whole set anyway, the rest come in handy all the time.

Set of allen key sockets.

Some 12pt sockets if you're going to use ARP hardware anywhere - they are all different sizes, so I tend to take a nut to the hardware store and buy whatever fits the best, whether it's technically metric or imperial.

Some VERY thin sockets / drivers just in case you ever need to change the EGR cooler gasket behind the head without pulling the engine.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If you were to give me only 5 tools to work on the entire car, I'd probably request a 10, 12, 14mm ratchet wrenches, a sammich, and a drink. Not too many things can't be done with these tools. From the sounds of things, you have a pretty good selection as is.

For maintenance reasons, I'd recommend a can of PB Blaster to let soak into the occasionally stubborn nut/bolt. Also, I've found it handy over the years to have a variety of different sockets/extensions. Generally, I prefer 6 point sockets, both shallow and deep. In most cases, a 1/4" ratchet is easiest for me to maneuver quickly, but with the right socket setup... you can do just about anything on these cars. Good luck!

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
3/8" 12 point 14mm deep socket if you want to get to ARP head stud nuts without having to pull cams. Just barely slides by, but does the job nicely :)

MD_Co

Jun 6, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks everyone! I'm picking up a set of extra long extensions for 3/8" & 1/2" drive based on the recommendations.

I've also decided to get the flex-head versions of the gear-wrench sets, instead of the standard fixed 15deg angle heads I was going to buy, since I think the flex-head can potentially save me some headaches. Since the flexy's are so much more expensive, I'm going to go with the smaller set (8mm-thru-19mm, vs. the 8mm-thru-19mm-plus-21,22,24,25mm set), since I shouldn't be needing the larger ones that often.

Is there any need for 20mm+ ratchet wrenches? I can buy the "finisher" gear-wrench sets later if I need/want them, but I can't see spending nearly $100 more to get 4 more larger sizes (21, 22, 24, 25)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
MD_Co;1734594 said:
Is there any need for 20mm+ ratchet wrenches? I can buy the "finisher" gear-wrench sets later if I need/want them, but I can't see spending nearly $100 more to get 4 more larger sizes (21, 22, 24, 25)

Hmm... Top of my head, the ONLY bolts that I am aware of that are bigger than the 19mm stock wheel lug bolts are the crank bolt (not positive on this one), and the drain/fill bolts on the differential. For what it's worth... all of those can be reached easily by socket. :)

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Crank pully is 19mm.

Oil fill and drain plugs on the R154 transmission and differential are 24mm (just did that a few weeks ago). Socket is good for the diff and the drain plug on the tranny, but you'll need a wrench to get to the fill plug on the tranny if it's in the car. Much easier to fill by taking the shifter off inside the car.

The union at the back of the head is a bigger one too, I think I used a 1 1/4" socket on it but I'm not 100% sure on the size.

MD_Co

Jun 6, 2011
North Carolina
Excellent. I'll stick with the small set of flex head ratchet wrenches.

How about a set of snap ring pliers and torx bits? They're the only tool for the job when it comes to them, but I don't know which things require them on these cars. I've only really seen torx stuff on american cars...but thats what I've worked on most.

As of right now, I'm thinking i'll wait to purchase until I need them, since there are other more important things to spend money on.

Last edited: