MT-90 is god's gift to R154s

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Best transmission fluid ever. I can't believe how much of a difference it made in my transmission. Best 40 bucks I ever spent. I can actually shift into reverse now, and don't miss 1-2 any more.

Anyone not running Redline MT-90 in your transmission, just do it already.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
annoyingrob;957561 said:
Best transmission fluid ever. I can't believe how much of a difference it made in my transmission. Best 40 bucks I ever spent. I can actually shift into reverse now, and don't miss 1-2 any more.

Anyone not running Redline MT-90 in your transmission, just do it already.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Go copy this into the parts review section, too!

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
shaeff said:
i quickly remove all of my undergarments and throw them at the other person's car in a fit of joyous sexual attraction, but only if the driver is male.

fixed. ;)

if you thought MT-90 is great on an R154, you should feel it in a W58. :naughty:

please don't ban me :)

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
shaeff;957920 said:
LOL, I'm in your sig. Haha!

I'm pretty sure you're the funniest mod here. You and IJ might be tied overall, but that's still the funniest quote I've ever seen on SM.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Guys I few days ago had my centre bearing balanced and I put the tailshaft back in... and during that I also took out the shifter so I can see inside why I had so much play in gear.. well that black/green bushing was totally wasted... got one from Toyota after finding the part thread on here and all I can say is OMFG... if you haven't done general maintenance on your box do it... these boxes aren't known to be good for a reason, it now feels so tight and perfect that even new boxes don't feel that rigid.

I'm also going to put in some Redline MT-90 shortly aswell as my final touch to my R154.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
vas85;957960 said:
Guys I few days ago had my centre bearing balanced and I put the tailshaft back in... and during that I also took out the shifter so I can see inside why I had so much play in gear.. well that black/green bushing was totally wasted... got one from Toyota after finding the part thread on here and all I can say is OMFG... if you haven't done general maintenance on your box do it... these boxes aren't known to be good for a reason, it now feels so tight and perfect that even new boxes don't feel that rigid.

I'm also going to put in some Redline MT-90 shortly aswell as my final touch to my R154.

Shifter bushing replacement is FTMFW. My transmission ate the bushing on the end of the shifter, and the green part on my "truck bushing" was gone too. 'Comparable to an 80 year old's vagina' was an understatement before, and now it feels extremely tight and much better like you said.

Edit: Forgot to tell you how incredibly clean your Mkiii is, vas85. Wow. I think I'll stop posting in this thread for a while.

UkiSash

no mor sup :(
Jul 12, 2005
Weth CT
red line is just a blessing to everything, ive been running their motor oil on my maxima since last year and as soon as i started the car the first time after the oil change i could have felt the difference, not by much but i felt something. Never used their tranny fluid but i do intend to as well.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
87mgte;957969 said:
Shifter bushing replacement is FTMFW. My transmission ate the bushing on the end of the shifter, and the green part on my "truck bushing" was gone too. 'Comparable to an 80 year old's vagina' was an understatement before, and now it feels extremely tight and much better like you said.

Edit: Forgot to tell you how incredibly clean your Mkiii is, vas85. Wow. I think I'll stop posting in this thread for a while.

Yeah mine ate the green part too i think it was never replaced in its life sofar.. so it was so amazing two days ago I literally creamed my pants at the difference it made to the car... just ftmfw.

Thanks dude :burnout:I try to keep her as clean as possible, although she's a little dirty at the moment until I give her a nice wash and wax :) Another gift to the automotive world... Carnuba Wax :) Mothers California Gold. On a prepped body and then re-applied every fourth wash it does wonders.

Cya

Aug 12, 2005
Columbia, S.C>
its was good until you use it a couple of weeks, but agreed when i first put it in it was awesome then after using it it took about a 25% drop in performance and stayed there.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
vas85;957960 said:

i like your car, wheels look really good on it

now i know what to get when i finish my 2jz swap....

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
87mgte;957969 said:

If you think that's good, try the marlin crawler solid urethane bushing kit.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
s0ulstar;957946 said:
fixed. ;)

if you thought MT-90 is great on an R154, you should feel it in a W58. :naughty:

please don't ban me :)
Defiantly feels awesome in the w58. :) I have a very good sense of humor, and wouldn't ban for that. ;) LOL.

87mgte;957958 said:
I'm pretty sure you're the funniest mod here. You and IJ might be tied overall, but that's still the funniest quote I've ever seen on SM.
Haha, thanks. :) Everything's better with a bit of humor!
annoyingrob;958202 said:
If you think that's good, try the marlin crawler solid urethane bushing kit.
This post is full of Win! Marlin crawler bushings are awesome. For those too lazy to search, or simply fell off their chairs and can't reach the keyboard:

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transmission/trans_parts.htm

For the W58- MC-10076, Heavy Duty Shifter Seat, W56 A or B $10
For the R-154- MC-10077, Heavy Duty Shifter Seat, All Other Toyota Transmission Applications, $10

For the End of either shifter (both the w58 and r154 use the same shifter;)- MC-10078, Shifter Socket $6

The marlincrawler bushings combined with mt90 is awesome.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
lagged;957981 said:
i like mobil one 75w 90...

Mobil 1 contains friction modifiers meant for an LSD:

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required. For axles requiring the highest level of limited-slip performance, OEM specific LS additives can be added to this fluid.

I talk about using gear oils that include friction modifiers (RP in this case) in Supra tranny's in this thread. Cliff notes...you don't want to use any gear oil in an R-154 or W-58 that has friction modifiers in the formula:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44485

MT-90 does not contain modifiers...IMO, it is an excellent gear oil to use in either tranny.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Rob, you're going to have to take my supra for a spin and tell me if you think it has redline in it. I had a shop change the fluid, and I'm not so sure anymore if they actually did the job or just pocketed the oil...

Fuckers anyway.