Moving to Houston next summer

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
I've lined up an internship for next summer in Houston. I'll only be there for 3 months or so and then I'll be coming back up to school in Norman. I'll be working in central downtown, anyone have any suggestions/warnings on any specific places to live? I've only been to Houston for TX2006, so I vaguely remember some of it.

Also, I'll be towing my supra down there with me (too many summers without the supra to stand it :p). I saw the Friday night meet thread, do any of the supra guys meet up regularly?

Anyways, any locals please speak up, hope to see how the supra guys do things down in H-town.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
Hey man! There are mainly peeps on the North Side of Houston and West side. I am on the west side. In katy.

Don't live on the East side anywhere. Avoid living in the Galleria(uptown) area, it's very nice but very $$$. I'd say live North west up 290, West along 1-10, or southwest area around the southwest freeway. The further out from the city is probably going to be cheaper but it really depends on the area.

There are now around 6 of us guys on the west side that are looking to meet up. Seems like the mk3 supra is gaining popularity!

Patch

Aug 25, 2008
Houston
If you move to the western side, live west of beltway 8. The area is MUCH nicer than inside the beltway.

The drive to downtown wouldn't be too bad either, because they're getting close to finished the Katy tollway and opening up several lanes on I-10.

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
It's not too bad, Pete. You just gotta know where to avoid. Lol.

But yeah, usually outside of the city's pretty good: Woodlands (north), Katy (West), Sugarland (Southwest), The Heights (Southwest just outside of downtown) etc.

May I ask who you're interning with? I myself should be getting one with KBR next summer if they get enough projects (or so they say).

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
I'll be interning with Devon Energy doing stuff with gas/oil well productions. I've interned with them before in Artesia, NM and Bridgeport, TX (pop. 12k and 5k respectively). Both times were field internships. This last summer I interned with a much smaller company called Mewbourne Oil in Tyler, TX doing oil and gas reservoir stuff. Of those three summers, I only had the supra for a short time in Bridgeport; it's really getting old not having a fun car to drive around when you have nothing at all to do :p.