Motor cranks, sometimes sparks.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Just assembled the motor after fixing a massive BHG. Everything was assembled, and it was double and triple check.

Put in a fresh battery, and it cranks just fine. But it cranks a whole shit ton before it fires at all. When it does fire, it is extremely sporadic and sounds like ass. At first I though the problem of it not starting was the timing, so we messed with the CPS and aligned the pulley a lot. Still no dice. Used a timing light, but it wouldn't flash. So by checking for spark, we found that it would randomly spark very sporadically. Swapped out different plugs and wires, same thing.

Another thing is that since I bought the car with BHG, I knew it has sat for a while. Upon checking the last registration: the motherfucker has been sitting for 3 fucking years. So the gas is obviously shit. I can see that being a problem, so would the bad gas be fucking up the plugs and cause them not to spark?

What could be causing this?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Common problem that's been seen on many 7M powered vehicles is the CPS wires cracking and shorting out. If you wiggle the wires coming out of it they will sometimes stop shorting!

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
toyotanos;1684458 said:
Common problem that's been seen on many 7M powered vehicles is the CPS wires cracking and shorting out. If you wiggle the wires coming out of it they will sometimes stop shorting!
I'll check for this, thanks.
jetjock;1684460 said:
If everything was "double and triple check" it would run. That said it sounds like timing...
It's a Supra, since when is it supposed to run without giving us a headache?

The timing was redone literally almost 10 times. The pulley was aligned and the CPS was correctly positioned.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
if you have a running car to test parts with, I'd say try the ignitor and/or coils

I hate doing a swap part "diagnosis", but it's easy if you have a running car on hand :/

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
If I have to I can try. Does it sound like anything obvious or common?

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

lewis15498;1684626 said:
Retry your timing light test on all the cylinders. If its a bad coil, you should only have an issue on two cylinders. Also, test your timing light on a running car to make sure the light isnt defective.

We tested the light on all 6, no flash. We also tested it on another car and it worked no problem.