Most respected machinist in spokane?

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I need some recommendations on good machinists in spokane. I dont need the block bored so luckily I dont have to search for a torque plate, But I need the head and block surfaces for a mls gasket, crank checked, and ground if needed. Then rods, mains ect checked, possibly line hone the journals. The motor doesnt have many miles so Im not sure what it will need yet. Anyways is there anyone you know of who has experience with 7m's or at leas imports? Iv talked to a few but none that made me all that comfortable. Most are V8 guys and Im not sure they have ever contemplated the clearances our motors need. thanks guys

Im willing to travel a bit if I have too but of course Id rather not

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
pm p5150, he was telling me about a great place local, but I cannot remember the name at all.

sunwest or something to that effect.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
85celicasupra;981833 said:
ive done buisness with both jones automotive and oneils custom motors, both were great.

I would not go to Jones again. They did both my 7Ms. The first time was fine, but the second time there were quite a few errors. The biggest? They told me the cylinder walls were a-okay. When I got the block home I found a 1mm deep score 3/4th of the way around #6 cylinder.

Good thing I caught that, or it would have messed some shit up. I wouldn't go there any more. That'sjust one of a few things that bugged me about them.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I have had oneils do a little work for me on the flywheel I also had them look my block over and was going to have them deck the head for me. My concern was his experience with imports and the tighter clearances that must be achieved. Like I said the block only needs a light hone, But It will need decked and the journals mic'd mains checked/line honed ect. I would think the bottom end should be in spec and not need anything but you can never assume. The other thing that I dont like about oneils is they dont use the mains as a guide when they deck the block they go off the pan rails. I was actually thinking about jones as they seem to have been around the longest ect. and I have dealt with them in the past. Maybe Ill reconsider, 85celicasupra what did oneils do for you?

mikeymkll7mgte

Supraholic
Oct 11, 2007
Spokane
I take my stuff to Precision Balancing. He works out of his own shop, but the guy is a perfectionist. The only thing he does not do is head work, like valves and such. He went through my engine with a fine toothed comb, checked and resized rods, checked squareness of everything, and balanced everything. He is out in the greenacres area.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Sun West engines in Medical Lake specializes in 22R engines and they have a lot of toyota stuff too. Unfortunately, they cannot line hone a 2jz head because of the way the back of the head rises - it goes up too far and blocks the bits for the line hone.

Their shop is really clean too. I looked at their clearance spec database and it seemed to match the TSRM but as with any shop, go in there knowing what you want for clearances and tell them to do it.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Ill probably have to talk to both of them sometime soon, see who I feel more comfortable with. First thing on the list is find a 7m crank, then go from there