more power

Sep 11, 2007
terrace b.c.
i just picked up a 88 turbo supra. it's got 175,000 kms racked up, but runs great (for being stock). i've been lookin on SM and see every body uses 3" exhaust. what kind of gains will i get with a 3" system with no cat? do you need cold air intake to make any difference? my friend has 3" exhaust and headers on a 93 mustang gt and he pulls past me, about 3-4 lengths on a 1/4 mile, this is unacceptable! what else can i do to gain modest power before i rebuild next year? more boost would be nice, do i need a controller for that? also theres a bit of blue smoke on start up when it sits for a few days but goes away in a few seconds.

illegal88

Banned
Sep 26, 2005
Rockford, MI
eternalboost said:
i just picked up a 88 turbo supra. it's got 175,000 kms racked up, but runs great (for being stock). i've been lookin on SM and see every body uses 3" exhaust. what kind of gains will i get with a 3" system with no cat? do you need cold air intake to make any difference? my friend has 3" exhaust and headers on a 93 mustang gt and he pulls past me, about 3-4 lengths on a 1/4 mile, this is unacceptable! what else can i do to gain modest power before i rebuild next year? more boost would be nice, do i need a controller for that? also theres a bit of blue smoke on start up when it sits for a few days but goes away in a few seconds.
maybe 10 hp but your turbo will spool quicker due to less restriction

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
illegal88 said:
maybe 10 hp but your turbo will spool quicker due to less restriction

10 HP from a full intake system and exhaust is inaccurate. You will make ALOT more power than that.

A NOTICABLE difference in boost and power can be easily achceived by adding and intake and exhaust.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
my 91 mods were; cat-less full 3 inch cat back, blitz intake. i was stickin it close to mustags. all i was missing was a kik in the boost from stock to about 13 and i would've won almost everytime.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
With 14psi I have personally out ran the new mustang gt's, charger RT's, srt4, non turbo porshes, older m3's I would say there were 96-99's, and a bunch of import compact cars.

When you turn your boost up the car will feel like a different animal. I turned my boost controller off once i was ohh hell naw ... Stock boost is nightmare.

Just keep in mind the miles on your car are very high. So dont be surprised if that rebuild comes closer than next year. When you do the build get an upgraded ct26 57 trim and 550's and you will smoke almost all the cars on the road.

silvergsx623

WIPLSH & HWY KNG
Oct 16, 2005
Alabama
Head gasket and ARP's first! lol
(or at least a re-torque)

then start on power mods

Also, the start up smoke is probably valve seals. (all my supras have done it)

Sep 11, 2007
terrace b.c.
bountykilla0118 said:
With 14psi I have personally out ran the new mustang gt's, charger RT's, srt4, non turbo porshes, older m3's I would say there were 96-99's, and a bunch of import compact cars.

When you turn your boost up the car will feel like a different animal. I turned my boost controller off once i was ohh hell naw ... Stock boost is nightmare.

Just keep in mind the miles on your car are very high. So dont be surprised if that rebuild comes closer than next year. When you do the build get an upgraded ct26 57 trim and 550's and you will smoke almost all the cars on the road.

thanks for the sweet info, the exhaust is definetly first up, as for boost controller what brand should i get or stay away from? is there a stock one on my car now?

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
eternalboost said:
thanks for the sweet info, the exhaust is definetly first up, as for boost controller what brand should i get or stay away from? is there a stock one on my car now?

Boost controlers are TROUBLE. Do not get one. The car will raise the PSI accordingly to your mods. Let the car do the adjusting itself.

No offense, but it doesnt seem as if you know to much about your car (yet) or modifying it. A boost controller will only bring problems.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
s383mmber1 said:
Boost controlers are TROUBLE. Do not get one. The car will raise the PSI accordingly to your mods. Let the car do the adjusting itself.

No offense, but it doesnt seem as if you know to much about your car (yet) or modifying it. A boost controller will only bring problems.

Dude wtf are you talking about? EBC are the best way to control boost and there is no debating that. When the winter comes and the car has some boost spikes because of the cold weather how will he be able to turn down the boost? Think about it his mods they should allow him to boost 10psi or so naturally but what happens if his boost spikes to 13psi and he keeps hitting fuel cut?????

So what if he does not know alot. I guess you are the only one born with all the car "know how" in the world .....If he turns up the boost to much he will hit fuel cut(spark cut) which will keep him from blowing up his motor. When you hit fuel cut turn the boost down and its all good. Its that simple

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
eternalboost said:

Doesn' t really matter alot of my friends have the greddy type s but i personally have and an hks evc.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
bountykilla0118 said:
Dude wtf are you talking about? EBC are the best way to control boost and there is no debating that. When the winter comes and the car has some boost spikes because of the cold weather how will he be able to turn down the boost? Think about it his mods they should allow him to boost 10psi or so naturally but what happens if his boost spikes to 13psi and he keeps hitting fuel cut?????

So what if he does not know alot. I guess you are the only one born with all the car "know how" in the world .....If he turns up the boost to much he will hit fuel cut(spark cut) which will keep him from blowing up his motor. When you hit fuel cut turn the boost down and its all good. Its that simple

From my recall, he never said EBC.