more cooling needed.

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
hey all I'm at the track right now (road racing) brakes are fine n all but I need more cooling. like my coolant temps are high. starts at like 205 ish but if I chase people down the I got up to almost 230 at 1 point. I have the bigger rad with e fans that supposedly flows over 2000cfm. I got a 160 deg t stat. even got the rad block off plate. coolant is about 50/50. unsure what else I can do. and no driving ez is not an option. gotta woop the stangs that are here.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Ditch the E fans, go to the stock 10 blade clutch setup with shroud. Do you have the undertray on the car?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Undertray is important at high speeds (i.e. road racing) There's a lot of plastic pieces on the front that funnel air to the radiator...if they're missing guess where the air isn't going.

High speeds, the fan isn't doing anything anyway. At lower speeds is where you need the fan, but what setup ydo you really have? Need pics.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Undertray and stock fan is the way to go, as mentioned.
160 tstat wont help at all. Also, make sure that your rear hood seal is intact.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I don't know how much this would help, but if the temps are that high, run with the hood off. Not sure if that is legal for your races, but that means a hell of a lot more air cooling off the motor. Plus there would be zero hot air trapped.

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
no bhg. at least i hope not again. but after 20 years the clutch fan is still the best thing we got? Got a 3 row alum rad with 12 in fans. Also I have a carbon fiber hood so it has a reverse scoop in it. And I dont think I have a rear hood seal bec the hood.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Do you have to run 50/50? Just water and maybe some water wetter would be good. Especially since it is now almost summer. Do you still have the AC and evaporator in there? You could try ducting as well. Make some ducts to direct air to flow through the rad. Possibly cut holes in the front bumper.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
planemos;1927117 said:
Do you have to run 50/50? Just water and maybe some water wetter would be good. Especially since it is now almost summer. Do you still have the AC and evaporator in there? You could try ducting as well. Make some ducts to direct air to flow through the rad. Possibly cut holes in the front bumper.

Short term, not good for the water pump bearings. Long term, have fun with corrosion... Coolant in the cooling system is used for more than just antifreeze.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Poodles;1927133 said:
Short term, not good for the water pump bearings. Long term, have fun with corrosion... Coolant in the cooling system is used for more than just antifreeze.

If there is coolant getting to the bearings of a water pump, it is dying. It doesent matter if its water or coolant. I agree with the corrosion bit.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Coolant doesn't boil at 212, so the whole idea of straight or mostly water in Florida or other places is from the bad idea fairy.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
1-2clutch-u;1927035 said:
rather not go with the stock fan. really hate that fuker. no undertray eather. can it drop 30 deg off my temp?

For what reason do you hate it? Because it slips and doesn't draw engine power when moving? Or because it moves more air when it is standing still? So you take things off the car Toyota put on so it will cool, then you ask if putting them back on will cool it? Priceless. I love the interwebz....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's bad for the bearings because no lubrication for hte seals = water in bearings. Only reason to run pure water is because a track requires it.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
The stock clutch fan is by far THE best way to cool your radiator. The only reason new cars have E-Fans all the time is because they are all wrong wheel drive and the engine is mounted in such a way that a mechanical fan will not work. Unless you want to spend some serious money on quality electric fans like some SPALs (the ones that a couple of my friends use are around $250 PER FAN, let alone the SPAL specific relays you need). I am E-Fan right now with my 1JZ and I do have cooling problems. I'm going back to a stock clutch fan with the shroud (with the auxiliary fans wired into my EMS so that they come on when the water temp gets too high).

The amount of air that the stock clutch fan flows is untouched by virtually ALL aftermarket (except SPAL ones from my knowledge). There's a reason why guys like Ryan Woon and Cody Phillips ran the stock clutch fan in their cars when they were producing upwards of 1400+WHP back in the day.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Spal fans make fans for oem cars. And the best ones flow a lot of air. Only real good option besides stock.