modified exhausts question

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
I recently went on an Evo cruise up Mt St Helens, and while eating dinner i had an interesting talk about exhausts. We started talking about this because i was complaining that sport bikes always get pulled over for having loud exhausts, but harleys never get tickets for exhaust, no matter how loud they are. A guy stated that because they are recreational vehicles, they won't get tickets. He also said that if your car is 20+ years old, then you don't need a stock exhaust, and you aren't held to the same restrictions of noise.
That would be great cause i have an rsr and my wg vents to the atmosphere. i doubt this is true, cause i thought after 1970something all vehicles had to have catalytic converters on them.
I have a feeling that harleys never get tickets, because half of the people that ride them are cops, and so they are seen as a more responsible group when compared to sport bike riders. I think this is a double standard, cause few crotch rockets are as loud as harleys.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
double standard...

how about this one...

My supra compared to the guy in the mustang or truck. I'm not nearly as loud but they will pull me over because I'm not an american car...

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
Poodles said:
double standard...

how about this one...

My supra compared to the guy in the mustang or truck. I'm not nearly as loud but they will pull me over because I'm not an american car...

that........ or because your screen name is poodles :biglaugh:

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
Dunckel said:
This might help, but I will look for something better.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.390

thanks, here's what i came up with from that link

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
gilberjj said:
(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle.
That explains why Harleys don't get pulled over. I bet the writer owned a Harley. :sarcasm:

gilberjj said:
This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.
Keep you car a few more years, then make it as loud as possible.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
The biggest reasons for having a loud exhaust on a bike is so people can HEAR you comming before they see you. I rode a CBR 600 for a few years, and almost got run over a few times by people that change lanes without using thier mirrors or shoulder checking. I actually had to kick the side door of one car to let him know I was there when he started to move over into my lane!!!! I put a Yosh muffler on to purposely make it louder so people wouldnt run me over.

Now the Harley vs Sport bike thing is another issue all togeather.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
haha, i just put on a muffler/exhaust system on a sport bike to make it sound AWESOME. no other engine will get you that close to f1 performance and technology for that cheap. its almost a crime to not let everyone hear it!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Harley's are NOT that loud of the showroom floor!!!

Everyone just removes the baffles in the exhuast to make it that damn loud...