Mobil 1 ATF in Power Steering

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I have a quick question about using Mobil 1 ATF in the power steering system of my Supra. Everyone seems to recommend it, but I just want to make sure it is ok to use on an original rack and pump that have not been rebuilt or replaced but only have 83k miles. A lot of the threads where people were using it also had rebuilt pumps and racks. I just bought a Magnefine filter that I am planning to install when I change the fluid soon. Right now the system has regular Valvoline Dexron, and it doesn't have any leaks beside the return line fittings, but I am replacing those anyway. I would like to switch to the synthetic because of the higher resistance to heat and such, but I don't want to mess up my system by doing so.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
jetjock;1955751 said:
It'll be fine. Flush a bit through it first. All the PS stuff on my car lasted over 22 years running that fluid and filter setup. Nuff said. And congrats for spelling Dexron correctly...

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be causing any leaks or anything. I decided to get a Magnefine filter because of you mentioning it in other threads. I never understood why people say Dextron instead of Dexron, its not hard to read the bottle...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Silver MK3;1955795 said:
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be causing any leaks or anything. I decided to get a Magnefine filter because of you mentioning it in other threads. I never understood why people say Dextron instead of Dexron, its not hard to read the bottle...
Because they're retarded ;)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I picked up some of the Mobil 1 stuff today. I'm not sure when I will get to installing the filter and flushing the system but hopefully it will be soon. I'll post the results back here when I get it done.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Today I did this. I replaced the hose from the pump to the reservoir, and the hose from the cooler to the reservoir. I tried to replace the hose from the rack to the cooler, but I couldn't get the one hose clamp off (it was facing the inner fender) and decided to just leave it since it wasn't leaking. I had to clean out the reservoir also. The screen wasn't too bad, but there was a layer of sludge on the bottom of it that was probably 2-3 mm thick. I went through 3.5 cans of brake cleaner just getting the reservoir clean...

I used constant tension clamps all around, and put the Magnefine right below the AFM. Then I flushed the system out with the Mobil 1 ATF (I bought 5 quarts, used about 3.5), bled the system, and went for a nice test drive. No leaks so far, everything seems good. The only thing I still need to do is take the car to one of those spray wash places and get all the ATF off that I spilled everywhere when I pulled the old hose off the pump.

I will try and get pictures some time this week. When I saw the air filter today I realized that I need to change it so I will try and take some pictures when I do that.

Thanks, JetJock, for the help in this thread and the older threads about the filters, you are definitely one of the most helpful members on here.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
IJ.;1955870 said:
Ge didn't misspell He though :D

Lmao. D'oh!

Silver MK3;1957164 said:
Thanks, JetJock, for the help in this thread and the older threads about the filters, you are definitely one of the most helpful members on here.

I missed this until now but you're welcome. That setup should result in years of trouble free service. For sure your days of cleaning the suction screen are over.

3tc power;1962928 said:
normal atf will work fine! i never dot crap, plus it seems to run much smoother with Dextron atf.

IJ.;1955798 said:
Because they're retarded

Or Floridians. Oh wait...

TurboJoe

Feb 21, 2009
Springfield, MO
Sorry, but which Mobil ATF fluid did you use? I am having a problem with my buddies power steering to even work and I wanted to completely flush it and put good stuff in.

What do you guys recommend? I've read not to use Dexron III, VI, and everything else. I'd do D II but that's stuffs non-existent!

Thanks,

Joe