MKIV Fuel pump install

DETONATION666

DECEPTICON MK3
Oct 29, 2006
Bethpage, New York, United States
Im having a hard time finding information on this pump swap. Is it a direct fit? All I can seem to find is information about how much it flows and how some say its better than the walboro and draws allot in comparison.

Any advice or links? I have been searching just not seeing anything specific to this swap

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It's a direct fit, no more difficult that installing a Walbro. It does draw more current though, personally I would not use the stock wiring to power that pump.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
really? i'm using an aristo fuel pump with no problems, i wonder how different they are...

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Tanya;1323609 said:
really? i'm using an aristo fuel pump with no problems, i wonder how different they are...

Drawing more current threw wire that's too small and old is potential fire hazzard...they probably aren't a whole shitload different but it's wise to run heavier guage/new wire to stop the wire from heating up.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Hm, well I used the wires/plug in from my Walbro for the Aristo since i no longer have the stocker plug in and was too lazy to cut/splice the Aristo wires :x

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Here's MY MKIV install post from my "crispography..." build thread.;)

(My car has a "trap door", so it took 15 minutes, but if you have to drop the fuel tank...:sarcasm:)

...sorry I didn't take pics of the STEP-BY-STEP, but it went SO QUICK and SMOOTH that I forgot to take any shots! (drop-in-plug-in and DONE!)

I'll consider the wiring issue later... but for now, it goes right into the stock wiring... and my car is in fairly good condition, so I didn't mess with running additional wires. ALSO, don't forget to consider the two-stage "by-pass" wire jumper up in the engine bay! Keeps the pump on HIGH all the time. (no "low voltage" mode...)

G/L!

ORIGINAL POST BELOW:

Okay, so I admit it! I didn't have my Walbro in yet, because I had some other ideas in mind...

p1366100_1.jpg

^^^ Friday evening when I rolled in from the office, the Bomba de Gasolina was sitting at the side door on my porch!:icon_bigg

Of course, this would be a tedious job for a shade-tree mechanic, but for a lazy-ass mechanic like me who had thought ahead... I already had a "TRAP DOOR" in the rear!:biglaugh:

p1366100_2.jpg

p1366100_3.jpg

p1366100_4.jpg

^^^ The included instructions in the DENSO "MKIV" drop-in kit were so good... my DOG could follow them!

...of course, she needed a little help with the fine print, and a few of the diagrams... but the illustrations were truly outstanding!:icon_bigg

p1366100_5.jpg

p1366100_6.jpg

p1366100_7.jpg

p1366100_8.jpg

p1366100_9.jpg

^^^ It went SOOO QUICK! I didn't get a chance to shoot the "how-to" (er... "how I DID" photos... as you probably shouldn't follow my crispadvice! HA!:biglaugh:))

I then "sealed" the area down with some automotive car stereo "HUSHMAT", which is adhesive backed and flexible enough to form fit. (Later I'll likely line MUCH of the car with this stuff... well... SOMEDAY!)

...then I had to take a break and have a bowl of ramen!:biglaugh:

EDIT: While the well mannered mechanic among you may LAUGH or CHASTISE me for my half-hearted methods... the job took all of 15 minutes... INCLUDING the photos and clean-up!;)

-crisp

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I just finished the install of my dual MKIV pump setup.

I had a set of twin Walbros but one of them seized up and left me stranded. Since they were wired on the same circuit, I couldnt isolate one without disconnecting them both.

It was very difficult to fit both of them in but I got it to work.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Using the stock wiring to trigger separate relays on two different FP circuits would fix that ;)

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Or you just have a relay with two separate outputs big enough to handle the current draw. The relay im using has a single input with two power outputs. It is controlled with the original wiring by a coil output from my AEM.

The point is that you have to put in two separate wires going into the tank or you are screwed.

DETONATION666

DECEPTICON MK3
Oct 29, 2006
Bethpage, New York, United States
I appreciate all the help and once I dropped the tank and took out the hanger assembly I really realized how simple it is to do.

The problem Im running into now is I am wondering how to run a new bigger gauge wire through the sender and still have the wire sealed. The stock sender/hanger has some sort of grommet thing that the wire passes through keeps sealed and doesnt make contact with the metal on the hanger "the ground" Does anyone have a write up on that part? I was thinking about just running a thicker gauge through and drilling out that nubby thing but then how would I seal it correctly to maintain pressure?

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
not to jack a thread, forgive me if so, but if i wanted to run a fuel pump cutoff, i can just splice a wire into the sender wire and put a switch on it correct??

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
giterboosted;1379995 said:
not to jack a thread, forgive me if so, but if i wanted to run a fuel pump cutoff, i can just splice a wire into the sender wire and put a switch on it correct??

I've had the same thought... but perhaps cutting the line up in the front right wheel well area of the engine bay at the relay for the dual stage switching would be clean and easy. I'm still considering it for a "security" switch to hide somewhere...;)

How have others done it in the "stock" wiring system?

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
p1381794_1.gif

^^^ I'm thinking somewhere in this loop. (The image is by someone else... sorry, forget who's post I grabbed it from! This is illustrating both the bypass of the 2-stage relay and provides the diagram for where the lines run.)

Hope that helps! I did the relay "jumper" but didn't change anything else yet. Plan to put a cut-out switch somewhere in there...

-crisp