MKIII aerodynamics question

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Cd is only the coefficient of drag, it needs to be multiplied by the car's frontal area to get the drag force acting on the car. The actual force is also a function of the air density and of course the square of the car's speed.

Cd's for cars are usually in the .25 to .45 range, so a .31 is a pretty good number.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
OK, here it is...

Notice the upper lip thing is raised up? Also notice that they folded the mirrors back...wish I could read Japanese...LOL.

256km/h is about 160MPH.

p603594_1.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Fatty cruises at 250 kph going by the GPS ;)

Any faster and I'd be concerned with the plastic inner guards and a few other bits falling off, Tape over the Hood gaps would help.

Interesting conversation guys.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
ive hit 240kph on my nearly stock car (only intake and catback). doubt a modified car would have too much trouble gearing out (IIRC stock gearing and stock rev limit makes the gear limited speed ~174mph)

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Nick M said:
What? Our pilots here don't have time to go over lift versus drag?

The dynamics of the two situations are quite different (ground vehicle versus aircraft). Despite that, I'd welcome their speculation from a perspective which is still probably more accurate.

EDIT: That or they're just sitting back laughing at us. :naughty:

Last edited:

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
For those of you thinking a lower Cd is better are wrong. As speed increases, you want more drag. Look at the Ferraris and high speed cars, they range from about .40 -.50 Cd.

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
"like a Norse god of thunder gargling a hammer!"

I love those three clips. Although in this discussion they don't really explain much of anything. I do have to say the bit with the tree is my favorite.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
yes, but it does prove downforce vs drag

I'll take mine with the wing....never knew they beat the Zonda's time, damn...

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
CRE said:
"like a Norse god of thunder gargling a hammer!"

I love those three clips. Although in this discussion they don't really explain much of anything. I do have to say the bit with the tree is my favorite.

I know but there cool to see.:icon_bigg

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
CRE: The books show high pressure at both points. Makes sense. Unfortunately they show the pressures to be equal there. Whether that's true or not would require measuring them with a manometer, preferably a differential one using a static port at right angles to the flow and further back along the car. The pitot would go at the area of interest.

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
slidebabyslide said:
Well, i have been reading the thread since it started. I could not really fully understand about down force and CD and all the other stuff, but then I was on you tube and i saw this. I hope you guys watch it from top video to second video there kinda long but it made me understand a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2oawVvwGjM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhbmBQwGSqI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9JQETXTA8s

that guys has WAY to much fun. I wanna drive that :(

edit: lol take a look at this(off topic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uExWe1lm0BM&mode=related&search=

Last edited:

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
ViR2 said:
thats a lot of drag for supra, my lexus IS220d (Europe version of IS350) only has 0.27cW.

Your IS might have a lower cD, but its frontal area is very large. The older vipers have a cD of something like .42, but are fantastic because their frontal area is very small. We've all seen proof of vipers going 220+. The drag coefficient isn't the only thing to consider when you're trying to make an aerodynamic car.

Jon

edit: bah, already been discussed! oh well.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Thanks for the info JetJock. If they're both reported to be equal they're probably close enough for my needs. One more question, is the any difference between the center area and the sides of the openings?