mk3's and rain

kingofyo1

Oct 22, 2008
mountain home ID
driving back from work last night, i started to wonder," i wonder how many of these heavy ass cars have actually hydroplaned off the road?" so now i ask you, my fellow owners. have any of you hydroplaned from bad tires or steering that was a little too quick in the rain? let me know, as i have to drive back to boise today in the rain and would really like to know how fast is still safe :p

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I'm spinning tires, going straight when boost hits, ass starts to swerve a little. Same with turns, luckily the LSD is saving me a little, but it's rediculously easy to get the ass out.

And this is with brand new 245 Falken Ziex, they're supposed to be great in rain...

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
It shouldn't be about the car so much as about the abilities of the driver. In SLC right now it's raining side ways which means it will be snowing soon in ID, use your head and drive carefully

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
a lot has to do with the tires. if you got a cheap set of rubbers or there isnt much tread (or uneven tread), then your more likely to lose traction.

kingofyo1

Oct 22, 2008
mountain home ID
thanks, i ended up going about 65 mph last night because i would hit those ruts on i 84 filled with water, for miles at the time. im used to driving a light ass civic, so im not sure about the abilities of the supra turbo, and i tried to stay out of boost as much as i could last night as well. the tires are worn down a good bit, but not bald yet >.> and yes, i realize its not good to drive on said tires, but you do what you have to to survive, correct? well if you've got any more input do let me know

EDIT:::::
oh btw, the two rears are federals, and one of the fronts is a ziex, and the other is a decent name, cant remember right now

7msupradude

Please wash your car!
Jan 31, 2007
Utah
I think mk3's do really well in the rain. I have worn out wet/dry tires, and never seem to have a problem, unless there are huge puddles, because my frame, bumper, and exhaust sit about two or three inches from the ground. So, if you are lowered, then life is a little more challenging in the rain, because your car becomes a boat when it hits a large puddle.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
You ask what’s a safe speed? A safe speed is what the road conditions dictate. Most of this comes down to your skill as a driver, there is no way you should be spinning everywhere. If you are spinning everywhere you need to slow the fuck down and back off the gas. Tires do play a roll in this but any tire can be over driven in the rain.

I drove my Supra for years in the rain and up here in the pacific North West we get a lot of rain. I never ever had a problem with my car in the rain unless I was driving like a moron.

Jeremy

omfgitsdonovan

Laag master
Jul 23, 2008
Burlington,WA
no matter when im driving in rain as it always rains here just coming from a stop on a flat road i still slightly burn off till it hooks up and then sometimes it just kicks out on me if im just a little bit to hard on the gas

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Turbo Drifter;1171303 said:
I drove my Supra for years in the rain and up here in the pacific North West we get a lot of rain. I never ever had a problem with my car in the rain unless I was driving like a moron.

My 89 was my daily driver for about 10 years. Being also in the NW (Portland OR) we got our fair share of rain.

I had one problem in the rain and that was due to worn out tires. I ran the Firestone Firehawk SZ50s for years and LOVED those things in the rain.

I agree though... SLOW down when it is raining and make sure you have decent rubbers.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Something you guys need to understand...vehicle weight has nothing to do with the speed hydroplaning occurs.

A tire hydroplanes at 9 times the square root of the tire pressure. At 35 psi = hydroplane speed of ~54 miles an hour (9 x 6 = 54).
With 65 psi = hydroplane speed of ~72 mph (9 x 8 = 72). This is for a smooth surface highway.

What does affect the hydroplane speed is tire tread and condition of the highway. With good tread and/or on a grooved road, water is channeled away...the speed is higher as a result. Standing water decreases the speed where hydroplaning occurs.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
jdub;1171376 said:
Something you guys need to understand...vehicle weight has nothing to do with the speed hydroplaning occurs.

A tire hydroplanes at 9 times the square root of the tire pressure. At 35 psi = hydroplane speed of ~54 miles an hour (9 x 6 = 54).
With 65 psi = hydroplane speed of ~72 mph (9 x 8 = 72). This is for a smooth surface highway.

What does affect the hydroplane speed is tire tread and condition of the highway. With good tread and/or on a grooved road, water is channeled away...the speed is higher as a result. Standing water decreases the speed where hydroplaning occurs.

Although it is obvious why tire pressure is important in not hydroplaning, why is it the determining factor? Wouldn't....something else haha, maybe like water depth/temperature/tread thickness play a bigger role?

I'm not arguing with you, I'd just like to get more info on it :)

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I only go out in the rain if I have too.
And if it is raining, even if it is light, 70 is pretty much my max, and almost 0 throttle, its just not worth having a tree in your passenger seat.