MK3 with a 1jz here!

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
I recently bought myself a project car to get into the scene with, plan on drifting it a little but its mainly my cheap sports car for now :icon_bigg I am not all that familiar with anything other than diesels, I was pretty into them for a while and still have one as a hauler.

Anyway, my car is an 88 MK3 Supra with a 1jz swap that was done very well, and an r54 5 speed and a stage 2 clutch kit. I was told it was a springless setup with a 6puck? It is pretty much a bone stock 1j otherwise with just an aftermarket intercooler setup.

Look forward to diving into my project, there is work to be done!

Ryan

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Cheap is the only word out of place. Supramania is the place to learn an ask questions and i welcome you.

Pics of your project is a must !

Engine\Interior/exterior ect...

:ttiwwp:

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
HAHA, good point, Supra's really are not cheap project cars. But then again every man has a different idea of what cheap actually is. And on another note if you take good care of her she'll treat you right as well.

But welcome! And we definitely needs pics in here!!!! I use to have a 1J car as well, it was pretty fun.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
It's only cheap right up front, down the road its more like making payments on a 24 year old sports car, but your payments contribute to keep it on the road.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
I guess cheap is a relative term, but I was/am a diesel enthusiast so it all looks cheap in comparison! I paid less for my Supra than I would for a built trans in my Duramax...

Anyway, it is nice to finally find an active Supra forum! I can't wait to start my build, first thing up is tie rods(inner and outer) and a new front subframe as mine is bent.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
suprafanatic;1877676 said:
Let the spending begin!!

Lol god knows it's gonna happen it might only be $3,000 to buy the car but when you start wanting more power and reliability it goes up real quick.

Building my 1jz i started out with wanting to keep my swap under $3500 needless to say 2 weeks later i had spent $11,000 and i'm still not finished

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
I doubt I will get that far into it, but eventually I would like to go with a single, 550 injectors, tuning, and whatever supporting other mods it may need. I am new to this "import" stuff as my diesel buddies call it and just want to go with a mild mannered daily that is drift capable and can embarrass all the damn honda drivers around here!

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Like we said bud when you get that speed/mod bug it hits big a.d hard real quick before you know it your eating Raman for 6months to afford a single turbo kit

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
I think most of us that own these cars come to that realization sooner or later. I bought my car for dirt cheap and when I started adding up receipts for the past two year I saw that I have spent multiple times the amount of my initial investment. And that was just replacing parts and restoring the car. That didn't count any modification that I'm currently doing. It just comes with the territory. I feel like I need a separate bank account just for the car haha. Anyways good luck on your build and welcome to SM!

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
Haha this could get dangerous then. My wife already shook her head when I drove it home, can't wait to see what she says first time I have it torn down in the garage...She's used to it though. I just rebuilt my bike from the frame up and dropped a new motor in my snowmobile. lol

On the plus side, she liked the car a lot more after I took her for a ride in it and let her hear that 1jz sing! :D

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
Yeah, I get that a lot. I am really good at spending money on things I love (wife included, it earns me points!).

She saw another MK3 while we were out and about today and said it looked great, I think that earned me an approval for new paint, wheels, and front lip ;)